I'm in about the same spot as you.  But remember, its all about enjoying the experience, don't worry about the results.  Of course, having young ones, you need to get some fish or they become disinterested.  I have a 7 yr old son and I will be taking him out for the very first time this weekend (hopefully).  So, yes, I too will have to launch the boat and retrieve it by myself.  My main goal getting into it this year with my son was to keep us both safe..  I think I've prepared pretty well in that regard.  However, although I'm hardly a novice at fishing, I am new to boating and that can be a little unsettling knowing that I'm a novice and I will be doing it mostly by yourself.  Enjoy the memories!

• Like 1

With the main firing right up, then stalling several times going into reverse, leads me to believe that your shift interrupter switch is out of adjustment and or it’s in the kill mode now that there’s no fire at all. I can’t believe all three coils took a dump at once. Sometimes the cables stretches and that switch can play games with you. A little lubricant spray helps, sometimes.

• Like 3

The shift interrupter stumbles the motor so you can get into a gear and be able to pull it out of gear. This switch is located on the cable plate and if the shifter cable is stretched the shift interrupter has just a tad longer hang time it kills the motor. It’s a S.O.B. If you don’t know exactly where the numbers or measurements should fall from the clip to the center  brass barrel. A strong 1/16th to a 1/8” is all it takes to be off and it will make you wanna pull your hair out!! This switch has nothing to do with anything else other than doing its job, that is stumbling the motor so the lower unit gears can easily be pulled away from the forward gear to reverse gear or neutral to reverse. What year is it as they don’t make the old style!! I had to manufacture that shift plate on top my motor on my 3.0 liter because the nit wit that had the boat took the switch off and threw it away which it kept the motor from stalling, but he couldn’t get it out of gear!! as he ran into everything till he learned to shut the motor down so he could slow down sooner.:lol:. Best of luck hope it’s a cheap fix for ya. PAP.

The shift interrupter stumbles the motor so you can get into a gear and be able to pull it out of gear. This switch is located on the cable plate and if the shifter cable is stretched the shift interrupter has just a tad longer hang time it kills the motor. It’s a S.O.B. If you don’t know exactly where the numbers or measurements should fall from the clip to the center  brass barrel. A strong 1/16th to a 1/8” is all it takes to be off and it will make you wanna pull your hair out!! This switch has nothing to do with anything else other than doing its job, that is stumbling the motor so the lower unit gears can easily be pulled away from the forward gear to reverse gear or neutral to reverse. What year is it as they don’t make the old style!! I had to manufacture that shift plate on top my motor on my 3.0 liter because the nit wit that had the boat took the switch off and threw it away which it kept the motor from stalling, but he couldn’t get it out of gear!! as he ran into everything till he learned to shut the motor down so he could slow down sooner.[emoji38]. Best of luck hope it’s a cheap fix for ya. PAP.
Around 1990 evinrude 70hp

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nice Job, he will be hooked now, if you want to have some fun  try a bass trip on Erie they fight hard and you can get a lot of hits. remember try to get Mom back in the game and have fun.
Thanks ! Mom is Def ready to try again. She was disapointed she couldn't be there !! Might try to do a perch trip next week as I hear the bite is on. He will enjoy that too, rod in hand and he can use his own pole and tackle.

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My son got his first salmon when he was 4. Hooked ever since then. Now he’s 34.when he was little trolling for kings in August I used to fill the big in the floor fish box with water and that was his pool. Now waiting to take my grandson with me

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1