Sunday we took the whole family out for our first family trip on the boat. I have a 2yr old daughter and a 4yr old son. We launched out of Olcott and headed out to 90fow. I had just finished setting 2 dipsys and 2 riggers, turned on the GoPro and one of the riggers popped with a king bite. I quickly reeled in the slack and got tight on what felt like a really good fish, got my son cranking and as fast as we had the fish he was gone. Within 10 minutes of that, my wife turned green. There was no way I was going to make her suffer on mother's Day so we headed back in.

Today, im taking my son. Just us. I know how it must feel on tournament day because I NEED to get him a fish. Yes, we will have fun and today will be a memorable day either way, but as a dad I just want to get my boy cranking on a king !!

I've been walking through the steps of how the heck I'll hand line and net a fish solo. Never tried it and don't want to mess it up ! I'm going to do straight spoon program and run 6' leaders off dipsys.

We will be launching out of Wilson ( also something I've never done solo) and heading out to the hill. I was told I should run to the hill and troll back but I think I'm going to troll there and run back.

So I'm over thinking everything .... Everything ! Please reassure me we will be into em quick, and also wish us luck. Really hope to post some pics tonight !!! Any kid tips appreciated: already have a pile of snacks, his tablet, and a rod holder set low to drop the rod in so he can just crank .

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

Sounds to me like you have a solid plan now you just need to execute it. The biggest thing is to keep him engaged, try to make everything fun for him and don’t be too hard on yourself brother, it will all work out. [emoji4][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Take a deep breath and relax , this is supposed to be fun. Take care of mom, do what you can to stop her from getting sick, she need to be part of the time out there also, so pick the better weather days. As far as the kids have them bring there electronic games to keep the busy ,tell you yell fish on. Also target smaller fish like cohos, browns and even lakers and work up from there a 15 lb King can be a hand full. at 4 years old all fish look big.  been there done that , enjoy the time as a family it go's buy fast. and if you lose some fish so what , there will be another one along soon. above all have fun.

• Like 2

You are over thinking it. I fish solo most of the time and netting is the hardest part of it. You're going to make mistakes, but you get to laugh about what you did after the pictures are taken, and setting up for the next one is done. When that fish is in the net, you can relax and think about how to do it better the next time. When you do hook up, give your son all the room in the back of the boat, and encourage him with all the stuff he's doing right. You're going to be as excited as he is, so helping him along with encouragement is a big thing. Being prepared is another. Keep your net in the holder until you really need it. Kings have a tendency to take off near the boat, especially when a net comes near them, so don't be in a rush to get him in the net. If you hand line, make sure your wearing a glove.The line will cut thru your skin like a knife if he decides to make another run.  I use those yellow sticky gloves, they also help with holding the rod.  If you lose him, so what, there's plenty more fish in the pond, and it's a lesson that it's fishing, not catching, and losing a fish is part of it. I wish you luck on your trip. I fished a few times with a friends' son, and let him fight away while having as much fun watching him as he was having. I still keep the pictures on my phone of that 1st fish he put in the cooler. Later this season my son and grandson are flying in from Cal. just for a guy fishing trip that I'm going to have plenty of memories of, and hopefully I'll have another 1st fish picture to add to the other. Good luck fishing.

• Like 2

Just be prepared for mistakes to happen because they do. You are never going to net ever fish. My kids have taught me to relax while family fishing. It’s not a competition and we don’t live a subsistence life style. Plenty of food at home, don’t need that fish so we can eat dinner. I have a great story I will share, I take my daughter out for her first trolling experience. Rigger pops and she is reeling in a monster lake trout. I was so excited for her to reel in this monster for her first fish. She brings the fish to back of the boat, I go to net the fish and I drop the brand new net I just bought. I start yelling and at that very moment the spoon rips out of the laker’s mouth and lands into the net, saving my brand new net. I was happy that my net is saved but I then turn around to see my daughter crying because she thought she made a mistake. I reassured her that it was totally my fault and not hers. After I wipe away some tears, she tells me that it will be ok, we will catch that fish next time. She brought the joy of fishing back to my boat. We did catch 9 other fish that day. So remember to make it fun. I have a lot of buddies that tell me horror stories of when they were young and being forced to go trolling with their dads. Make it fun and have you will have a fishing buddy for life. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 2

HUH, I know that feeling as a father of twin girls the first outing with them was rather nerve racking to say the least. The first thing I did was get the best pfd for them and they make them so the kids flop over on their back. After that things pretty much fell into place as it did, Elizabeth caught a respectable smallie which tried every part on her Barbie pole while Emily hooked into a 21” eye, but she wasn’t satisfied because I hooked and handed her the pole?? What’s wrong with that?? I wanna do it:lol: just do as you would when by yourself!! Your head will be your worst problem if you let it!! Enjoy your first outing, it only gets better 

Remember they will enjoy the experience either way.   The first lesson is enjoy the outdoors and the experience.   Catching a fish or harvesting game is the cherry on top.   Let them have fun and assume fishing and catching is secondary to their overall experience and remember attention spans are short.  They will want to explore the boat and dig through your plastic baits.   Let them and remember when you take young kids fishing it will be all about them.  Have fun! Good luck.

6 hours ago, NymphO said:

Guys. Thanks. I know what I need to/ have to /should do, just wanted to hear it from others !!

Great news. My father in law is cutting out of work early and joining the fun.... Awesome !!! Feeling much more confident !!

Pics to come !!

As I get older I learn to listen to those voices in my head. You are right to be a little worried about not having a third person in the boat. Things like steering the boat while rigging. Who is driving while netting? What if you got a double?  What would happen if you fell in god forbid ....could your boy circle the boat with gear out to get you?   With the water cold, trolling is no joke!  There were 5’ waves out there today.  Pick your days very carefully and always have a third person. Good luck.  

Edited by Gill-T

Definately need to keep it fun. As previously said, in the case of kids size doesn't matter.
Kids like to be involved in all aspects of the trip; driving the boat, setting the lines, watching the graph, netting the fish, listening to the radio, etc. Plenty of snacks and drinks and just keep them involved. Amazing how quickly the pick up on things, particularly when they are assigned a job.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

whow just enjoy the family time , time spent will last a life time for you both, enjoy enjoy enjoy it a special moment look listen just watch them they get excited big eyes lotts of questions all so fast . then they are all grown up now i get excited ddrive the boat and watch them just being togther is all that matters 

Congrats to your first outing, they remember that day a perfect day no matter how many things that weren’t Persia perfect in your mind, he’s holding the biggest fish of his life!! To him that’s the best day of fishing in his mind, and in the comfort zone of dad adds to the excitement!!. :yes::yes::yes:

So. The story. With the early exit we had Sunday I was anxious to get out. Dropped in at Wilson and main fired up, warmed up, clicked in reverse.... Stall. Fired back up, little rev on the throttle, sounded good... Reverse, stall. After about 20min of new plugs,checking this and that,my son was losing patience. I looked at him and said,bubba, daddy's gonna get you on the king's no matter what , fired up the kicker and headed out !! Slow ride out and change of plans on running to the hill and trolling back,but dangit it worked ! Even with main issues, I'm still all smiles. Oddly enough while trolling I cranked it over and it did fire, but never after that. Gave it plenty of time, wiggled this and that,nothing...

So I'm thinking and hoping it's ignition switch cause there was absolutely no spark off all 3 coils. I had actually put new plugs in before we left, and they were Def the correct plug. They were wet, but not flooded wet.

• Like 1