Keuka fishing

You might want to check the accuracy of your temp meter.....58 sound pretty high to me right now anyway.

Two more data points. The KLA website shows a temp of 57 degrees on the east branch yesterday (measured 20 feet down at the Penn Yan water intake.) And yesterday afternoon in 6 inches of water near shore (east branch), the water temp was 61.

I fished yesterday and looked at temps from Morgan marine in Penn Yan south to a couple miles past the college.  Temps ranged from 53 at Morgan to 56 south.  The lake is about two weeks late. Only a few smaller male sunfish in the shallows, a couple rock bass and no smallies yet.  There is no green growth to speak of. 

Edited by Pequod1

Peqoud I agree with you.  We fish at the bluffs every week and have seen no green growth unless you are talking about the slime that we see.   The water seems extra clear and all the rocks have small clam like things growing on them?  Zebra mussels??  I don't know.  We also see a lot of dead fish mainly sunnies but there are also bass and a few lakers dead.  The main location of most dead are just south of the Swiss Resturant, a lot of sunnies.  What is up??????   Big schools of sunnies but no beds and the temp is right at 50 degrees last time up.  Cold and windy.......jk

Two Saturdays ago in a boathouse about a mile south of the Switz, teaming with small fish. We scaled down from one ounce jigs to eighth ounce to catch a fish fry.
Hard to tell what a fish is from above it. We hooked half dozen rock bass. A couple bluegills. Looked like an aquarium in there.
I suspect the shadow of any dock would be similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I know specifically of a good Crappie bite at a location in Keuka that occurs the third week in April yearly. This year, they had a smaller bite fully two weeks later than normal.  The smallies will be on their beds for the opener if this keeps up.  I’ll try again later this week

Facebook reminded me of a picture I posted of 15 ten to twelve inch crappies on my sidewalk on May 18......2015! Probably my last good crappie bite!
That would have been from Hammond lake. Never caught a crappie in Keuka but never fished it in springtime until this year. Was hoping there were some under that boat house.
It’s a gorgeous morning, boat is prepped, think I’ll go hit that same spot in 2018. Don’t need a gps spot lock to show me that submerged brush pile!

Fishnet did you notice many dead fish on the bottom where you were.   The futhur north you go the more dead ones you will see.   We call your location our pickeral spot and see big school of sunnies crusing around there also.  You mentioned Hammon Lake is that the one in Pa.  Known for really good carppie fishing in the spring and ice fishing too......jk   Ps will be looking for your boat, what days do you usually fish?  We are both retired and go when the weather lets us go

We saw no dead fish at all. We trolled up past the Switz then jigged the point and moved back down west side.
I got a few more years before retired so I get out when I can. Weekday fishing does suit me I have found!
I’m 17 miles from the ramp at Hammond but three miles from Cowenesque. Keuka has always been a cold weather lake for me until last summer bass season.

Finger lakes trollers assoc did Keuka last Saturday. 17 boats weighed 3 lake trout each. Assume minimum two people per boat, could have legally taken 102 trout.
It bothers me that competition fish are not returned healthy like in bass tournaments. I suppose it just doesn’t work that way but still.
Oh, and the winner also had a landlock for the win.

Fishnet I think taking out as many lakers as possible is good for the potential future fishery....right now they are a large part of the problem (with increased pressure on the already collapsed baitfish population) which is backed up by the DEC diary report as well.

Finger lakes trollers assoc did Keuka last Saturday. 17 boats weighed 3 lake trout each. Assume minimum two people per boat, could have legally taken 102 trout.
It bothers me that competition fish are not returned healthy like in bass tournaments. I suppose it just doesn’t work that way but still.
Oh, and the winner also had a landlock for the win.

3 lakers per boat on those derbies not per person. Derbies seem to be the least of the problem on Keuka. Need more bait. When lakers main diet is small perch theirs definitely a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app