Went out yesterday afternoon and never moved a rod. Trolled all afternoon until 7:15pm with shallow and deep stick baits on inline boards, spoons on riggers just off the bottom, and a worm harness down the chute on a 5 color lead core. Marked a bunch of bait pods from 10-30ft down, and marked a bunch of fish on or near the bottom. Fished water from 10ft to over 60ft deep. Surface temp was 59.9*. Trolled from 1.6-2.5 mph.

It tuff up ther for sure. More of a place to fish for eyes not catch eyes. U want limits go to erie!  After almost 20 yr of spring fishing up there. I can tell u that. 6 or 8 in a weekend is bout average for us. Yea there some studs but to consistently fill the box can be tuff. Ther been years when 2 fish caught on a weekend then next yr 10 over 10lb.  people post ther good catches but never mention the bad ones. An the ones that do have a network of guys that talk up ther trust me on that one.

No good reports on the pike and eyes gang.  Pickerel is what is keeping the charter parties content after a few hours of trolling and nothing before actually targeting them trolling.  A very few pike around, no browns in the mix, very slow in golden crescent right now.  This week a few sheepshead around.  No good news from this end.

• Like 1

Thanks for the report. I’m headed up for memorial weekend and debating location to fish. Might head into the deep water and see what’s around. Tough spring so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I was out in the bay 2 weeks ago and the amount of bait that showed up after it warmed up was insane. Opening weekend and the following were good weekends for me. The opening weekend was the most productive for me. The bait has moved in turning off the fishing once the bait starts to disperse it will be better fishing. I'll be up for memorial day weekend and hope to get after them a little, I'll give a report if there is anything to report on.

Edited by Chas0218

We ended up heading to Chautauqua instead. I think we ended up with 7 walleye and one musky. A friend’s 10 year old son reeled in the musky and I think he is now hooked for life! Great time on the water and hopefully we will make it to the east end soon.

Not good, fished hard for 3 days,  no walleyes, lots of bass and big pickerel and perch, walleyes are pretty well gone. Some big hens around gorging on baitfish, hard to catch. Charter docked next to us got 3 on Friday, 1 on sunday.  

My FIL has been out in the bay and has about given up hope. He said there has been tons of bait with large marks all over the bait. My guess is they are already out of the bay or engorged and no need to feed. Either way it is going to make fishing hard this weekend. I'm guessing there will be a ton of boat traffic too. Oh well hope to see you all out there.

Tight lines and Bent poles!

Edited by Chas0218

10 hours ago, muskie magnet said:

Lots of bait and some big marks around them, if you catch one it will be a big female full of alewives.

That or perch, 2nd weekend in march I caught an 8lbs. and 6lbs. eye on Sat. Both spit 8" perch in the livewell. 

13 minutes ago, Chas0218 said:

That or perch, 2nd weekend in march I caught an 8lbs. and 6lbs. eye on Sat. Both spit 8" perch in the livewell. 

Yeeooww those were some hungry ladies!! I find it amazing what these fish can inhale when they are aggressive, which adds truth to the Muskie hunter stories, claiming they catch these pain in the A$$ walleye on there 8” gear they are pulling or casting!!

5 hours ago, pap said:

Yeeooww those were some hungry ladies!! I find it amazing what these fish can inhale when they are aggressive, which adds truth to the Muskie hunter stories, claiming they catch these pain in the A$$ walleye on there 8” gear they are pulling or casting!!

Most definitely the 12lbs. eye my FIL and I caught in 2008 had a 12" white fish down in its belly. Probably would have been 13lbs. if we didn't pull it out. FWIW I could fit my fist down its mouth. 

Edited by Chas0218