We took a short trip out of Sodus Wednesday morning and the fog was so thick that with out GPS you could not navigate,

and to make it more fun the wind could not make up its mind which way it wanted to blow. Were there any other fools out

in that pea soup?

Dr W

• Like 1

I hate fog, wont fish it. Hate coming in from offshore and running into it.
Rather fish rough stuff than not being able to see, and more so, knowing that other boats can’t see me.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

4 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

I hate fog, wont fish it. Hate coming in from offshore and running into it.
Rather fish rough stuff than not being able to see, and more so, knowing that other boats can’t see me.

agree 100%

With my GPS, compass in the past, I still managed to do a complete 360 one time.....it can really be nerve wracking

Back when I was on the Whaler team we were running to Nantucket from the north shore. Pre GPS, Loran was pretty new too.

I was the guy that sat on the bow that day, heavy fog.

I waved off the Captain when I saw what I thought was another boats wake and it was actually waves breaking on shore. Really close, really spooky. When it hits the fan with fog, it happens quickly.

We were out in the fog but not this one a few years back, we went in between Stoney and Galloo isles and the fog drifted but we were on the fish!! Soon I couldn’t see the very front of the bow. Luckily I made a trail on my hand held unit it was a Lowrance H20 unit. We headed for the barn since it was really thick yet, all the while my uncle is calling me every name in the book. This way I should be  going according to he’s dumb ass way of thinking, before you know it we are at the cut into Henderson right smack perfectly lined up with the bridge and through the cut we go. Long story short I asked if he wanted to drive the rest of the way and if you F’up I’m going to come unglued and swear your ass up and down:lol:  OOH yea keep that pointer on the blue line and you’ll put us on the trailer. Don’t leave the dock anymore without my gps. Great doc.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

Dr w do u have a compass ?

OF COURSE !  And GPS and I am now considering adding Radar!

Remember all IO's have low speed wander and maintaining course is by eye

The mate was not able to handle it.

• Like 1

IF MONEY WERE NO OBJECT!  My boat would have every bell and whistle

GPS and Radar and auto pilot could make fishing easy ,BUT WOULD IT REALLY ?

Navigation always depends on the human element and all those aids are just aides!

I actually always have a compass , and because everyone will question even that compass I keep

a hand held bearing compass on board as well. 

19 minutes ago, Dr W said:

OF COURSE !  And GPS and I am now considering adding Radar!

Remember all IO's have low speed wander and maintaining course is by eye

The mate was not able to handle it.

Good.. a compass is very important aside from the GPS unit

That’s a scary feeling to be way out there and to be able to get back safely is the main objective, my uncle was completely wrong in his bearings as which way is home that’s for sure, I followed my hand held unit which has a mount took us back safe and sound!! I still use that unit as my gps speed. That was before the sonars had the gps available to the average Joe. And they just made a square block line. LOL

During the Seneca Lake Memorial Day derby last year one morning was very foggy. It was nauseating while I was set up, trolling plate down hearing boats running by at half or full throttle, knowing I couldn't get out of the way need be. One boat, about a 17' trihull passed by at about 25 yds (the very edge of visibility) about 20mph and NEVER saw me . Scary