Power Trim Question

Guppy35

I am far from a mechanic, so please bear with me as i try to explain :)

My parents have a 1990 Bass Tracker, with a 110hp Evinrude.  At the end of last season, the power trim worked fine from any of the three switches (bow, console, and on the motor).  A few days ago they got the boat out and put all new batteries in.  When they tried the power trim to put the motor down to test it with the ear muffs, it would not move the motor.  My uncle is an electrician and took at look at it, and here is what we know:

There is power at all of the trim switches on the boat

There is power to the solenoid

You can hear the relay switches clicking when you hit the trim switch

Neither Trim-up or Trim-down work

New batteries - so plenty of juice

Does anybody have any advice one what to look for, or what the issue could be?

Thanks,

Sean

Water in the electric trim motor. The motor could be locked up. Happened to me 5 years ago. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I had the exact problem last night.. I pumped a bunch of fluid in it with a lower unit fill pump, and let it drain out until it was at the correct level.... then I ran it up and down for about ten minutes until it started working. It worked fine last night. I'll know if it good tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks for the responses guys.  Sounds like the problem is most likely moisture/water inside the motor.  We will have to take a look at it.  Where is the best place to buy a replacement motor if needed?

When I was in business having a starter & alternator rebuild shop, we got a lot of calls from guys who had these issues, most of the time it wasn’t worth the time to replace parts, as the water just rusted everything to hell and we could get replacement units cheaper than the dealers hourly wage just to look at it. Give your local auto electric rebuilder a call you might be surprised!!