Carb help

It's a 3.0 ,4 cyl Merc cruise er the thing seems to be to much fuel as I have to keep the motor cover off if I drop the lid it runs crap y the fuel mix jet make no difference even if I set it tight 

Is it a Rochester or Mercarb ? Sounds like it’s not getting enough air. Is the choke stuck on ?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My guess is that the high ethenol gas has destroyed your phenolic float. You can buy a kit from iboats or west marine. I have rebuilt my mercarb and one for a friend. Not a bad job if you have any mechanical knowledge. You will need your carb number as there are early and late carbs. And you will need to buy the new float separately, as it doesn’t come with the kit 

More than once, I have found it cheaper and quicker to just buy a new/rebuilt carb and then it is plug and play.  After you do get your carb fixed use only non ethanol fuel or properly treated if non ethanol is not available.  Add Lucas fuel treatment each fill up and run at least one mile at full throttle at the end of each trip.  Good Luck

The Rochester carbs are simple to rebuild and the merc carb is just a tad different just to screw with ya, I found this out on the 3.0L and the accelerator pump took a dump, the hardest part was getting the spring in the accelerator valve to be in the right position when the top of the carb is installed, sounds to me the low idle metering body is fould up, that’s what was the ailment with mine also, the corn juice just turned everything the $hit. After we rebuilt the whole carb she purrs like a kitten.