Wire line

On 5/19/2018 at 12:21 PM, CopperJon said:

How does everyone attach wire to the spool? With braid backing or directly to the spool?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

In the case of Okuma reels, 1000 ft of wire is not enough to fill the spool to capacity. I wrap the spool in electrical tape, attach 30# mono with an arbor knot to the spool and spool on 100 yards, attach mono to wire with an albright knot, and spool on the wire until the spool is filled to capacity.

wrap of electrical tape on the spool for me.  1000 feet perfectly fills the spool on my Daiwa SG47 LC's.  Don't forget the first time you take them out to fish with, before you start using them, you want to take them out over deep water and let the entire spool out with a heavy weight (I use a 1 lb lead ball) and reel it back in to make sure the wire is spooled tight enough on the reel, line winders wont get it tight enough and the wire will dig into itself and bind up with the first screaming king you hook up on.  Been there, done that, no fun.

wrap of electrical tape on the spool for me.  1000 feet perfectly fills the spool on my Daiwa SG47 LC's.  Don't forget the first time you take them out to fish with, before you start using them, you want to take them out over deep water and let the entire spool out with a heavy weight (I use a 1 lb lead ball) and reel it back in to make sure the wire is spooled tight enough on the reel, line winders wont get it tight enough and the wire will dig into itself and bind up with the first screaming king you hook up on.  Been there, done that, no fun.

X2 with this!!! You must take it out and unspool it and reel it back in with a weight of some sort on it!!!! You don’t want to lose that big one because you didn’t take the 10 minutes to do this!!!

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I cut the 1000 ft into 2 500 foot sections and then back each one with enough mono to make the line counter read correctly.  I do this by winding it backwards on one spool then winding off onto the second spool with the drag on.  I connect the mono to the wire with a small swivel (50lb I think?) that fits through the eyelets without a problem.  

Braid. I used to use electrical tape, which is okay as long as you use only 1 revolution. If you put a cushion down, the wire can squeeze into it like a sponge and that throws you spool alignment off from the worm gear guide. I put on like 100' of braid and then attached the wire, and got 1000' perfect to the top of the spool. Closer to the top you are, the more accurate your line counter is!