Salmon Size This Year

Fished all week out of Rochester and probably boated 50 plus salmon. Biggest was only 17.5lbs though. Is there just a ton of 2yr olds this year or is the size way down? Other then size how do you determine if a salmon is a 2 or 3 yr old?  Normally catching this many salmon would yield at least a few 18plus lbs even in May. 

The three year olds are still playing catch up as they were stocked in 2015 and had very little YOY alewife to feed on.  They will be smaller.  The deep winter pattern three and four year olds are still out there feeding on the bottom of the lake.  The big boys will roll up on the North shore first week in July and then are here to stay.

On 5/21/2018 at 6:47 AM, Gill-T said:

The three year olds are still playing catch up as they were stocked in 2015 and had very little YOY alewife to feed on.  They will be smaller.  The deep winter pattern three and four year olds are still out there feeding on the bottom of the lake.  The big boys will roll up on the North shore first week in July and then are here to stay.

Are here to stay where? You mean north shore as in Canada?

My theory is once they hit the bank on the North Shore and get put into the mix of “ideal” upper 40’s temps with bait, they stay in those ideal water bands and begin to move around the lake in a counter clockwise direction with the lake currents. 

Yeah I was just wondering because I am new to fishing Lake Ontario and for salmon. I have a good reel/rod combo and line, just the only thing I've finding difficulty finding is info on lures/baits to use. I am based out of Rochester, dock our boat in Irondequoit Bay right next to the entrance into Lake Ontario. Currently have a dipsy diver with a dodger attached.

So exactly what kind of spoons would you recommend? Also how far out into the Lake should I be going?

Thanks guys!

Edited by KurtM

Kurt.. post in the open seat form and post you are new and would like to go out with some people and learn for your own boat.

I'm sure someone will scoop ya up and show ya the ropes 
This right here. I was helped by many members on this forum who took me out on my boat and theirs and showed me tips and tricks I use to this day from how they run cheaters to how they rigged their boats and even showing you where to catch fish depending on the time of year. Made some great friends on this forum and appreciate every one of them. The guys here are top notch and know their stuff. They help make the learning curve shorter for us new guys.

You will be glad you did if you chose to.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app