Lead core questions

For years leadcore has been the most unproductive line on my boat. What size leaders are people using? Maybe mine are too long or too short. Do you usually run leadcore off of boards or down the middle? What the different between 5 color and 10 color?

thanks

There is no magical answer.....leadcore like the other "tools' needs to be run where the fish are located and it needs to be run at the right speed for the lure used. The5 color may run at 20-25 ft below surface depending on speed the 10 color should run about 50-55ft. if you figure 5 ft per color at about 2 mph but even the diameter of the backing may influence this.. Just estimations at best. If you have a Fishawk TD or A Smart Trol probe and attach it to the line and record your speeds  you can get a more accurate estimate - same with coppers. Leadcores can be run off boards or down the chute but care needs to be taken in their deployment as you can get some horrific tangles  with other stuff if care isn't taken letting them out and bringing in.Leadcore seems to sway back iand forth in the water a bit and this may even be what attracts fish but it also may relate to tangles. The lures used also should be compatible so that you don't have say a J plug or flatfish shaped lure running in the chute with your long lead spoons on riggers etc or the sideways movement and turns could mess things up good. Not knowing how long or short your leaders are it isn't possible to know the answer to that one.:smile: I usually run 20-30 ft fluoro leaders 12 lb for Finger Lakes and 20 for Lake O. Hope that helps.

Edited by Sk8man

On 5/19/2018 at 9:36 PM, jth21usa said:

For years leadcore has been the most unproductive line on my boat. What size leaders are people using? Maybe mine are too long or too short. Do you usually run leadcore off of boards or down the middle? What the different between 5 color and 10 color?

thanks

I start with a leader length of 35' and I typically put a new leader on once it gets down to about 20'. I fish it off the boards and down the chute. 

22 hours ago, pap said:

Do you fish the entire length of core in the water with the backing about 30-50ft to the release?

As long as all the leadcore is in the water and the release is attached to backing then i am happy

Our experience is you can run leadcore in a Scooty release but not far at all from the boat cause of the sag in the line running to the release. Copper is even worse. 

We apply them to boards. They are great when the water is cooler and fish are higher in the water column. Not sure where you fish, but I don't find them that productive from end of June. Water is just too warm, and fish are too deep for the leadcores.  We always put 20' of leader on them, and used 15 to 20 lb fluoro. As others are suggesting, make sure you completely submerge the leadcore by letting a bit of backing into the water.