Hey everyone, brand new at the salmon trolling game.  Ive fished for them in salmon river but got sick of the crowds during the salmon run, soooooo i bought a boat.  20' bayliner trophy with a 150 horse Johnson outboard, brand new scotty down riggers, Humminbird Helix 5 gps/ DI sonar, have lake trolling rods spooled up with #30 mono.  Been doing alot of reading on here but was wondering if any of you could offer some advise on best practices, lures, meat rigs, flashers, things to know about going out on Ontario for the first time etc?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!

First of all welcome to LOU.:smile: I think the best advice might be to either get someone with a lot of experience to go with you in your boat or go on a charter and beforehand prepare your questions for the captain.

Throw a spoon ( black/white and blueish/green) on the downriggers and call it good. One rod per downrigger on Blacks releases. Get two dipsey rods (size 30 reels) with 7 strand blood run wire. Attach a dipsy on #3 setting with green/white spindoctor and a hammer atomic fly. Set down riggers and dipsey to depth of fish on fishsinder. If you don't have speed and temp just troll as slow as boat will go. Everything else you learn on fly.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, choked-up said:

Throw a spoon ( black/white and blueish/green) on the downriggers and call it good. One rod per downrigger on Blacks releases. Get two dipsey rods (size 30 reels) with 7 strand blood run wire. Attach a dipsy on #3 setting with green/white spindoctor and a hammer atomic fly. Set down riggers and dipsey to depth of fish on fishsinder. If you don't have speed and temp just troll as slow as boat will go. Everything else you learn on fly.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Awesome thank you so much for the info.  I already have the black's releases just gotta pick up a couple new reel's.  Any brand better than another that wont break the bank? Im already 1200 bucks into this venture, not counting the boat, lol

Edited by SemperFish

3 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

What area of the lake will you be fishing?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Ill likely be launching out of oswego 9 times out of 10

As someone who just started really getting into Salmon fishing in the past few years here is what I recommend... You have riggers so that's a HUGE plus, Next get 2 wire dipsey setups and atleast 2 of each size dipsey diver (not counting the mini). A Google search will turn up a depth chart for each size dipsey, print them and carry them with you. 2 Riggers and 2 dipseys is a great starting point that shouldn't cause you too many issues and is fairly budget friendly. Another budget friendly addition is a free slider (Search LOU for info on this), throw one on each of your rigger rods and you got 6 lines in the water. I would also recommend atleast a fish hawk TD to help find the thermocline and figure out the blowback on your riggers. Alot of people hate on the Magdas but I can tell you from experience they 100% will catch salmon. Not the best reels by far but I wouldn't toss them aside as a junk reel. You can always upgrade as you get more into it. Couple spoons, flashers and flies will get you started. Last bit of advice is to pay attention to the weather, read the reports ppl post here and don't be afraid to ask questions... lot of friendly ppl here! Goodluck!

Edited by FishingFool34

Welcome.

Add tackle slow, search the "Tackle and Techniques" section for "fixed cheaters" and "sliding cheaters". You can run your riggers with 2 poles per each rigger or run cheaters. I prefer cheaters so I can run more rods other places. 

• Like 1