Hi everybody! So my dad and I were going through our boat and in the way back of a compartment found what I have attached in this post... From what I can tell I think it is a navy life jacket from sometime just post WWII... Does anybody know exactly what it is? And if so does anybody want to buy it?

Sent from my Z983 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Maybe the previous owner would want it back??

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
Honestly don't even know how to go about getting ahold of him... He lives 5 hours away and it was 4 years go which is 4 phones ago so his number is long gone

• Like 1

It is a 1940s military lifejacket that was loaded with shark repellant.

“ The Bureau of Ships issued interim specification R51S48 (INT), Shark Chaser (Life Jacket) on 15 June 1944. The Packet designed for individual use consisted of a 5 ½ oz. cake of repellent in a cotton bag protected by a blue outer envelope made from a vinyl-copolymer-coated fabric. The unit measures 8 ½” x 4 ½” x ¾” with cotton tie tapes to attach to inflatable life preservers and a lanyard with safety pin for use with kapok type life vests. The unit functions in the same manner as the dye markers but the chemical bag can be returned and secured by a snap fastener on the outer envelope. The chemical cake is composed of 76% dyestuff, 19% copper acetate, and 5% soluble wax binder. Specification R51S48 Shark Chaser (Life Jacket) was standardized on October 1st 1945. Until this time the shark chaser was considered experimental.”

https://pilotsmanyourplanes.com/Page_75.html?no_redirect=true

It is a 1940s military lifejacket that was loaded with shark repellant.

“ The Bureau of Ships issued interim specification R51S48 (INT), Shark Chaser (Life Jacket) on 15 June 1944. The Packet designed for individual use consisted of a 5 ½ oz. cake of repellent in a cotton bag protected by a blue outer envelope made from a vinyl-copolymer-coated fabric. The unit measures 8 ½” x 4 ½” x ¾” with cotton tie tapes to attach to inflatable life preservers and a lanyard with safety pin for use with kapok type life vests. The unit functions in the same manner as the dye markers but the chemical bag can be returned and secured by a snap fastener on the outer envelope. The chemical cake is composed of 76% dyestuff, 19% copper acetate, and 5% soluble wax binder. Specification R51S48 Shark Chaser (Life Jacket) was standardized on October 1st 1945. Until this time the shark chaser was considered experimental.”

https://pilotsmanyourplanes.com/Page_75.html?no_redirect=true

Thanks Alot!