Broadband Sounder

Hey guys we upgraded to a Lowrance LcX-113hd over the winter and at one of the outdoor shows we were walking around we talked to a Lowrance rep. He recommended getting the broadband sounder. Just wondering if anyone on here added it to their unit and how well it worked? I mean is it really worth the price...$600.00??? Thats alot of money to spend if its not really worth it.

This is only 2nd hand info, but a buddy of mine decided to try the sounder and says it's more than worth the money. He said the clarity is unbelievable and it eliminates all the "clutter" you see on the screen, that isn't fish or bait.

On a side note,how do you like your lcx-113 hd? I've always been a raymarine guy but i'm seriously considering the 113 hd, it looks like one serious machine.

Thanks fishman. I think I'll have to look into it some more. As far as the unit goes we love it. The large screen is really nice. Its very easy to read from the back of the boat while setting rods. Also the large screen is nice while running split screens for the dual frequency. We got ours fairly cheap and it was def. worth the money. Looked into the Furuno but fishing with people who had them, they were kinda fuzzy while underpower. The lowrance allows us to read bottom all the time (trolling and underpower).

Gray Fox,

Here's the Lowrance link to the Sounder (take a look at the 7 minute video clip). I was looking into this same technology a few weeks ago and personally it doesn't seem like it's worth the money (at least based on the video clip). I think investing in a fantastic unit like yours with a larger screen, with great resolution is a better investment.

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Mar ... Sounder-1/

Just my 2 cents....

- Chris

I'm not sure which Furuno you were looking at Gray Fox but I've had quite the opposite experience. I have a Furuno FCV-585 with a thru-hull triducer and not only can I mark bottom while under power, but I can mark bait & fish while up on plane. I've never seen a clearer more detailed picture than I have with my unit. In my opinion, there isn't a better fish finder on the market. I'm sure that the Lowrance broad band sounder is quite nice, but my guess is that the Furuno you saw was either an older model or one that had some interference issues with the engine. I could mark bottom and bait under power with my old FCV-667, which had half the power of my 585.

I'm a big fan of large screen Lowrance units, alot of my friends have the 113HD unit and I have the 38HD unit, they are a very nice fishfinder with alot of power, I have a shoot thru hull ducer and can mark big bait balls and fish when on plane, in shallow water (under 50ft) I can mark fish at over 35mph. A friend installed a Broadband Sounder unit on his rig and he says it's like watching a high definition fishfinder, no clutter, you can mark bait much clear and fish that are stuck to the bottom show up better without zooming, he thinks they are worth the money I think I'm going to buy one next spring.

Billy the Furuno units I saw were the 582 I beleive??? Maybe it was just the way the guys had them set but on the way out there were times it wouldnt even mark bottom. Oh well, saw the 585 and thats a sweet unit! It was that unit or the Lowrance, but we went with the Lowrance.

I have the 582 and its a great unit. It was around for quit some time. A lot of boats wee equipped with this unit. I am having interference problems with mine right now. I'm trying to fix that. However, I know of other guys with the same unit that can mark a penny if flipped over the side of the boat and I can vouch for witnessing this. It all depends on the set-up of the boat your on.

On to my next point.....that 113hd is a SWEET unit! I love those large screen Lowrance units.