First ever trip to Lake Ontario

This past weekend was my very first time on Lake Ontario.   I've been walleye fishing Lake Erie for years and have always wanted to try for salmon but just never did.  Well, I loaded up the Pro-Line 251 and headed to Olcott.  After asking around on were to start Saturday morning we ended up in 130-140fow just east of the marina.  We trolled all morning and never marked a fish.  The water temps were 39° because of the wind change so we started thinking of where we could find warmer water.  We decided that maybe deeper water would hold its temperature better than shallow so we headed out to 300ft.  We found 44° water about 40ft down and had our first strike in about 20 minutes. 

Of course being walleye fishermen we lost it, LOL.  We missed on our first 4 strikes so we reminded each other that these are not walleye and we needed to handle them differently.

The next strike was hard, I mean really hard.  My buddy grabbed the rod and  held on for dear life.  In what must have been just a few seconds the line counter went from 90ft out to 200ft out.  Definitely not a walleye. Haha.  He battled the fish and since we were trying to get our first ever salmon in the boat it seemed like forever.   But it was finally at the back of the boat and I got him in the net.  If you were somewhere on the lake you might have heard our celebration...  sorry for the noise.  Our first king was in the boat!!  There is something to be said about beginners luck because she was 34 inches long and weighed 20lbs.  What a fish!!  We didn't set the world on fire this weekend but we ended up boating 18 salmon.  

I'll be back next weekend.   I'm hooked!!  Thank you to all the people on this site for your willingness to share information.   I have been reading your posts for a few months now trying to learn. 

Wish I would have done this years ago...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, junebug2320 said:

Walleye guy here from the Central Basin. Ontario is a blast. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where in central basin?  I'm renting a dock this year in Geneva.

7 minutes ago, NymphO said:

Had to laugh... " Def NOT a walleye". Good luck with your new addiction. Your ruined forever.

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Lol.  Thanks,  definitely not what I'm used to but quite an adrenaline rush when that rod starts bending. This will definitely be an annual event for me from now on.