Late spawn

pikefreak

16 minutes ago, pikefreak said:

I agree Justin, I it should be closed from April 1st-may 31st

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I don't think it really needs to be that much later but 2 weeks would guaranteed they would be done. I also think that they should limit the ice fishing as well. Something like 2 per day or add a slot size.

• Like 1

I don't think it really needs to be that much later but 2 weeks would guaranteed they would be done. I also think that they should limit the ice fishing as well. Something like 2 per day or add a slot size.

Slot limit would be good!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Right on. I self impose a slot 16-19” (I know a lot of guys that do) and practice C&R as soon as a I have a few bags in the freezer. Don’t always need new laws.

I am lucky enough to live on Oneida where it’s easier to cherrypick your keepers though. I understand guys that have to travel keeping whatever they can. I did when I had a long drive to get ‘em.

Back to the original topic it would be nice if the fish could be protected up the creeks longer because they get crushed when they’re still up there on the opener. Don’t necessarily need new laws, just some enforcement on the poachers.

Why would you resent that? I said don’t need new laws just enforce laws on the poachers.

That wouldn’t affect a guy like you at all. Just the guys making 5 runs back to the truck throughout the day.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chowdaire said:

it would be nice if the fish could be protected up the creeks longer

I read that as "Keep the creeks closed longer."  But  hey, maybe no one can understand a joke either.  I hear everybody saying "no fish on the ice, no fish n the creeks, just my fish in my boat"  but maybe you don't see that, being "entitled" to the fish you catch in yer boat and all.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2018 at 11:24 AM, lineman49 said:

How about trying "Catch your limit, but limit your catch",  (catches).  Don't always need new rules/laws.  jmo.

One of the reasons I don't fish for walleye through the ice, they already put a hurting on them during the winter. Especially during the derbys in the winter.

On 5/27/2018 at 12:25 PM, Chowdaire said:

Right on. I self impose a slot 16-19” (I know a lot of guys that do) and practice C&R as soon as a I have a few bags in the freezer. Don’t always need new laws.

I am lucky enough to live on Oneida where it’s easier to cherrypick your keepers though. I understand guys that have to travel keeping whatever they can. I did when I had a long drive to get ‘em.

Back to the original topic it would be nice if the fish could be protected up the creeks longer because they get crushed when they’re still up there on the opener. Don’t necessarily need new laws, just some enforcement on the poachers.

All the more reason to make a slight change to the winter. I know a lot of guys that will fish them hard in the winter and keep a lot of big fish. Good for them but at some point it is really going to put a hurting on them. Not to mention the poachers that take fish out of season or in the streams while breeding. 

Mother nature has been doing a decent job of limiting ice fishing all by herself lately.

I think if you want change then you need to lead by example. Educate people on the benefits of throwing back larger fish and simple peer pressure goes a long way. I am not saying cram your ideals down someones throat either. I am saying let it be known how you feel and let them make their own decisions.

Similar to antler restrictions on deer in NY. Things are slowly changing all on their own through education and not regulation.

• Like 1

The topic is late spawn!  My point is the walleye season is in place to protect the spawn... Obviously we catch spawning walleye in season so the season needs tweaking.  As far as the limits and size restrictions go that depends on how the DEC chooses to manage the fishery and it seems we have little say in that.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:35 PM, Lucky13 said:

I read that as "Keep the creeks closed longer."  But  hey, maybe no one can understand a joke either.  I hear everybody saying "no fish on the ice, no fish n the creeks, just my fish in my boat"  but maybe you don't see that, being "entitled" to the fish you catch in yer boat and all.

Canada closed a couple Lake O tribs during the spawn to protect spawning fish.  Not a bad idea for certain stretches of tribs with natural reproduction.  It benefits the entire fishery not just the lake guys or stream guys.  Yes it limits access to areas but we should all care about the fishery and not ourselves.

• Like 2

The topic is late spawn!  My point is the walleye season is in place to protect the spawn... Obviously we catch spawning walleye in season so the season needs tweaking.  As far as the limits and size restrictions go that depends on how the DEC chooses to manage the fishery and it seems we have little say in that.

My apologies.

When people start talking about limiting ice fishing it gets my attention!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

lots a big round ladies laying on the ice last winter!! “Chaumont Bay” went to Maine ice fishing, we had to sled 13 miles into the lake, hand drill 6” holes and were visited every day by the long arm of the law, at all different times!! Just saying??

Edited by pap

The vast majority of late spawning Walleyes taken on Lake Erie are males. IMO taking males out now verses one month from now make no difference. The females don’t show up in catches for awhile. Now taking February prespawn giants in Detroit River is a different discussion ....that has never set well with me. 

2 hours ago, pap said:

lots a big round ladies laying on the ice last winter!! “Chaumont Bay” went to Maine ice fishing, we had to sled 13 miles into the lake, hand drill 6” holes and were visited every day by the long arm of the law, at all different times!! Just saying??

Yeah, they try to make sure people are being honest. They have a tough job but the presence helps deter.

33 minutes ago, Chas0218 said:

Yeah, they try to make sure people are being honest. They have a tough job but the presence helps deter.

Every day they counted holes, measured the holes, inspected our baits “no live bait-minnows” yes their presence do make the honest guy nervous but the guys that are taking advantage of the lakes resources will continue on until they are checked out by the law in person!!!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, justtracytrolling said:

No one makes you go out when the season opens, if you think it is a late spring and you are putting a dent in the spawning population, stay home.  This reminds me of a Canandaigua boater saying  trout opener should get pushed back because the fish are still up the creeks, and someone fishing there (and a lot of them are poachers, too) might catch a couple. 

Personally, I can't think of any reason to fish for walleye except to eat them, the channel cats in the Genny fight better than the same size 'eyes. 

We have Lake Ontario, STL and inland lake tributaries that are closed to all fishing to protect spawning walleyes, so it is not just Canada.

As to lateness, seasons are set to protect the bulk of a spawning population, nothing says all need to be protected.  Bass season wouldn't open until August 1 some years, might open middle of May others if no bass could be caught until egg free.  I've heard of Finger Lakes spawning trout in June.  I am sure if the biologists thought the opening day was impacting a particular fishery, they would issue an emergency closure.  Also, what a monumental task, determine progress of walleye spawning in every body of water that contains them in NYS and then set a season.  They could have not started yet in a cold Susquehanna, and be totally done in Whitney Point Reservoir (just to pick two near Binghamton).

39 minutes ago, pap said:

Every day they counted holes, measured the holes, inspected our baits “no live bait-minnows” yes their presence do make the honest guy nervous but the guys that are taking advantage of the lakes resources will continue on until they are checked out by the law in person!!!

They just throw the eyes back down the hole before the law gets to them. The hard part is being stealthy about it. When you see a guy heading straight at you on a sled for a couple minutes it kind of gives it away about who is coming.