Trolling w/o downriggers

Howdy folks...I've been reading these forums a long time, but am a new member. I'm running a 16' Tracker 1648SC w/ 40HP Merc. It's not the largest boat, but hey, it's a decent package and it works. Last year was my first year spent mainly on Cayuga trolling for trout. Due to the size of the boat, I'm not running any down riggers. My question is, what's the best setup for getting down deep without riggers?

I'm currently using two line-counter reels filled with #20 fluoro. I use the #1 and #3 divers w/ snubbers, typically with a spoon or gambler rigs attached to a fluoro leader. I also have a good graph (Helix 7 DI/GPS). I've been catching fish, but no more than a few per day. Any recommendations for a good setup w/o riggers? Thank you.

invest in a couple of manual down riggers and run at least 2 #1 dipsys per side. that will give you 6 lines out. and a 16 footer fishes 2 people really well.  just my 2 cents.

Dipsy divers as you are using probably best.  I would switch to braid instead of mono.  You will achieve greater depth

and make it easier to trip your divers by eliminating the stretch of mono. If fleas are a problem you may have to go to stainless diver wire altho its more finicky to work with..  Leadcore, or copper line is another option..

Depending on the depths you are trying to achieve Offshore tadpoles or Tripzee divers in size 40 or 50 (similar to jet divers except they trip) are capable of reaching 50'  Hope this helps.....

2 minutes ago, VooDoo said:

You could also go with the magnum size dipsy

I thought the #3 was the magnum? Either way, the magnum is what I'm using along with the #1. Also, I'm thinking about trying Dean's Cove/Long Point for the first time next week. It's sounding like the trout fishing can be a little slow on the south end earlier in the year.

10-4. Sounds good guys. So...I learned two things: give wire a try and Seth Green rigs. Do you tie those rigs yourself, or do you buy them ready-made somewhere? This offseason I may invest in some manual downriggers, but for this season I’m going to continue without.

I fish out of a 14ft deep v and I have it set up with 2 Scotty manual downriggers, 2 down eastern rod holders per side that can be used for dipsy divers or Seth green rigs and I have a set of triple trees on it used for pulling inline boards or for when I'm pulling flatlines off the big planer boards off the planer mast mounted near the bow of the boat. Before I had the rigger mounted we pulled one Seth green rig,one wire dipsy and 3 inline boards with copper or leadcore per side and ran a dipsy set to "0" and caught a lot of fish. Since I got the downriggers we ditched the Seth greens and are capable of running all of the above with the addition of an extra dipsy rod per side plus we run the riggers with a slide cheater on them. When we fish with 3 guys total our most common set up Is 2 riggers (each with spoons and slide cheaters), 2 wire divers with spin doctors, and 5 inline boards (tx22's) with either copper or leadcore with spoons or stickbaits. This set up usually produces plenty of action. Don't ever doubt the size of your boat as you can do plenty from a 16fter. Good luck and tight lines if you need any addition info feel free to pm me I can send pics of my set up if you wish

• Like 1

On 5/28/2018 at 10:28 AM, suttontroller94 said:

I fish out of a 14ft deep v and I have it set up with 2 Scotty manual downriggers, 2 down eastern rod holders per side that can be used for dipsy divers or Seth green rigs and I have a set of triple trees on it used for pulling inline boards or for when I'm pulling flatlines off the big planer boards off the planer mast mounted near the bow of the boat. Before I had the rigger mounted we pulled one Seth green rig,one wire dipsy and 3 inline boards with copper or leadcore per side and ran a dipsy set to "0" and caught a lot of fish. Since I got the downriggers we ditched the Seth greens and are capable of running all of the above with the addition of an extra dipsy rod per side plus we run the riggers with a slide cheater on them. When we fish with 3 guys total our most common set up Is 2 riggers (each with spoons and slide cheaters), 2 wire divers with spin doctors, and 5 inline boards (tx22's) with either copper or leadcore with spoons or stickbaits. This set up usually produces plenty of action. Don't ever doubt the size of your boat as you can do plenty from a 16fter. Good luck and tight lines if you need any addition info feel free to pm me I can send pics of my set up if you wish

Thank you for the info. I certainly don’t doubt the size of my boat after reading this AND after being out on Cayuga from Dean’s yesterday. It got ROUGH out there but never once did I feel uncomfortable out there. That’s probably the worst conditions I’ve ever had the boat out in and it did great. Ended up with only one laker and I lost a really nice brown at the boat. I was faced with the decision of netting the fish or losing my favorite bait caster. Oh well that’s the way it goes sometimes...

On 5/28/2018 at 10:45 AM, suttontroller94 said:

To add to that the reason why riggers are more important IN MY OPINION is you can target the exact water column you want to fish and with the combination of a probe you can target the right speed and temp 

I’ve made up my mind after posting here to go ahead and get two for next year. Thank you!