Hydraulic fittings

jigstick

I need some tee fittings and elbows to hook up my new hydraulic steering hoses to my auto pilot pump. Do places like lowes or true value sell stuff like that?

i need 1/4 NPT male - 3/8 hose - 3/8 hose tee fittings, and a 1/4npt male female elbow

1 hour ago, jigstick said:

I need some tee fittings and elbows to hook up my new hydraulic steering hoses to my auto pilot pump. Do places like lowes or true value sell stuff like that?

i need 1/4 NPT male - 3/8 hose - 3/8 hose tee fittings, and a 1/4npt male female elbow

Which hydraulic unit, most hardware stores should carry any fittings needed.

Im using Seastar hydraulic lines with pre attached fittings. Which are 3/8 female hose fittings I believe?

i need two Tees. With 1/4npt male on the bottom and 3/8 hose on the sides. 

And i I need a 90 degree elbow 3/8 hose to 1/4in male npt. 

The autopilot pump pump is a Raymarine Type 1 pump which has three adapter fittings that go to 1/4 NPT female

Edited by jigstick

The hose fittings are what I consider female. Threaded on the inside. But there’s a “tit” in there as well. They screw onto 3/8 female Tees that I originally purchased. But I’ve decided to tee right off the autopilot pump instead. So now I need a Tee that has 1/4Npt male on the bottom to screw into the autopilot pump. 

Finding these fittings is driving me nuts. 

1 hour ago, lost a lure said:

I believe they are 3/8 compression on the hose

Baystar is the compression fittings Sea-Star uses pre installed crimp on fittings

1 hour ago, jigstick said:

The hose fittings are what I consider female. Threaded on the inside. But there’s a “tit” in there as well. They screw onto 3/8 female Tees that I originally purchased. But I’ve decided to tee right off the autopilot pump instead. So now I need a Tee that has 1/4Npt male on the bottom to screw into the autopilot pump. 

Finding these fittings is driving me nuts. 

You might need to use adapters or look on the following sites for the exact part you need. I have purchased through both, be sure you are ordering what you need because their return policy sucks.

https://www.pexuniverse.com/brass-fittings

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Brass-Fittings-164000 

Edited by Chas0218

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:53 AM, jigstick said:

The short answer is no

I just went through installing a RM AP.

Some of those fittings are what they call an ORB fitting which is a oddball size not to be found at any hydraulics shop.

I spoke with Seastar and RM both before I just started searching the internet for answers

What I ended up doing is buying a hose kit ( about $127.00) that had most of the hoses and fittings I needed.

I actually used the old fittings I took out of the helm (when I installed the new hoses) to put in the hydraulic pump

It was a real learning experience

All of the Seastar hydraulic lines had those ORB fittings on them

good luck

Jay

15 hours ago, lost a lure said:

ORB fittings are just straight thread with an o ring for the seal. Nothing special. Available at hydraulic shops.

ORB fittings may not be "special", but they are not a common fitting used by the material handling (forklifts), construction, (skid steers, backhoes, etc.) or lift gate industries. When I did my AP, I contacted 6 (six) hydraulic/fittings shops in the Chicago area and none of them carried ORB fittings because they are not used in the previously mentioned industries. In an effort to control inventory costs, many shops no longer stock what does not sell.

Jay

Edited by JAYRFRED

Jay is right. When t installed my lowrance autopilot interfaced to my old Grady White's steering pump, the fittings that came with the unit would not work. Went too hydraulic shops, lowrs, Hector's, nothing. I went to West Marine in Buffalo and they had what I needed.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I ended up buying an "add a helm" fitting kit from Seastar, which had all of the fittings I needed.  It was cheaper than ordering misc parts from Grainger and my local hydraulic shop.  Thanks guys.