Cayuga Cayuga lake - mid lake vs south lake

Fairly new to lake trout fishing as I live in NYC. However, I'm planning to do some laker jigging this coming Memorial Day weekend on Cayuga lake, and was hoping for some guidance on the laker fishing this time of year. 

I fish from a kayak, so my range is limited to a mile or two from where I launch. I was planning to fish out of Dean's cove due to proximity to where I'm staying, and wanted to know if good laker fishing can be found in that area, or if I should focus more south like Taughannock.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

44 minutes ago, fishyoo said:

Fairly new to lake trout fishing as I live in NYC. However, I'm planning to do some laker jigging this coming Memorial Day weekend on Cayuga lake, and was hoping for some guidance on the laker fishing this time of year. 

I fish from a kayak, so my range is limited to a mile or two from where I launch. I was planning to fish out of Dean's cove due to proximity to where I'm staying, and wanted to know if good laker fishing can be found in that area, or if I should focus more south like Taughannock.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

You should be able to find them out of Deans I would think

Edited by bandrus1
  • Like 1

fishyoo you have a PM (personal message....little envelope in the right hand corner of this screen)

Edited by Sk8man

Launched out of Deans Cove this morning and caught one laker right away on the jig. Was fishing from 40 to 100 ft of water. Didn’t really mark much so decided I would take the long pedal over to Long Point. Once I got there, I immediately started marking a lot of bait and fish in 20 to 35 ft of water. These marks were unbelievable, but couldn’t get anyone to bite. I jigged paddletails and also trolled through with a rapala on leadcore. After an hour  without any success , I decided to call it a day. One fish is better than no fish but wish I caught some more. A good workout today with the pedaling. 

Anyone have any idea what I could have been marking on the long point side?

1DD388A9-2327-4CBF-A691-34DE74A0ADC4.png

were the marks suspended,- mid depth, close to bottom?.. Don't forget, Cayuga has thousands and thousands of carp and carp like  of all sizes,all sorts of big suckers,  Drum,and  several species of good size shad type fish.. Just all sorts of things you could have been  seeing on the screen... Of course you may have been  marking lots of big salmonids as well, that simply would not hit what you were offering, or would not hit anything at all.. The Finger Lakes are notorious for  periods when the Salmonids hit for an hour or two at first light, and are done for the day by 8 am...

Fishyoo, we call them bumpies.  Not sure what really iis going on but sometimes if you slow the retrive a wiggle and slow retirve for 10 feet then go back to normal they will take it.  Try anything to convert the bumpies into fish.  we even feel that on occassions they go by slow and they hit the line with their tail but don't hit.  Lots of weird stuff going on down there......jk