Crestliner Eagle Owners.. Fuel Sending Unit

dt5150

i'm hoping someone may know.. i have a 2000 crestliner eagle 2450. recently my fuel gauge quit working and I determined that it is the sending unit. problem is, i don't know where it's at. i have no access panel in the floor anywhere that i can find. i'm really hoping that i don't have to pull up the floor to change it. does anyone know?

i'm hoping someone may know.. i have a 2000 crestliner eagle 2450. recently my fuel gauge quit working and I determined that it is the sending unit. problem is, i don't know where it's at. i have no access panel in the floor anywhere that i can find. i'm really hoping that i don't have to pull up the floor to change it. does anyone know?
I'm thinking it's going to be in the tank!

Sent from my SM-T280 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I had a crest liner years ago I needed to remove the two seat pedestals and remove the floor piece and the unit was right there, six screws out and there it was out!! I got one from crest liner and it looked like the same universal ones you get at West Marine, mine I had to calibrate which is nothing more than bending the float rod. Mine was a 1750 with a 30 gal tank.

good info, very helpful. thanks pap!

i'm thinking i'll have to remove the seat "boxes" that the seats mount to to be able to get to the floor board. maybe i'll get lucky and there will be an access cover under there so i won't need to pull the floor.

No you won’t have to cut the floor under those box type seats is were the screws to lift the panels out, I forgot to say the guy before me installed pedestal type seats where those other type seats were. Sorry I didn’t think about that!!

no worries, i got the idea.

this is what those "boxes" look like. i'm thinking i'll have to pull the port side box to get to the floor board screws. the fuel filler is on that side so i'm hoping the main tank is on that side (2 tanks, 70 gal main and a 30 gal aux). it would make more sense balance wise to mount the tanks in the center of the boat though.. i guess i'll have to see.

IMG_20170514_143807047_HDR - Copy.jpg

IMG_20170514_143803487_HDR.jpg

I have a 92 sabre and they are in the middle of the floor.  The back of my tanks are just in front of the dog box.  Here's the link to crestliners customer service.  They may be able to help.  You also might try your local crestliner dealer.  If their mechanic has been around a while, he should have an idea.  Hope this helps.

https://www.crestliner.com/contact-us/

thanks hawkeye, very helpful. i had a feeling i'd be doing a fair amount of disassembly.. i think i'm going to just keep putting fuel in it and wait until the end of the season to pull things apart. i don't want to miss any time on the water because i've got things torn apart.

i sent an email to crestliner last week but have not received any response as of yet.

thanks joe.

heard back from crestliner.. they're no help. "contact your local dealer". well, there isn't one. i could probably call one and see if they have any info in their technical manuals or something.

• 3 months later...

thanks sylvan. no access panel on mine unfortunately.. gonna have to pull the floor. i'm gonna have it winterized first before i start the tear down, i don't know how long the job is going to take me to finish so i figure i'll get that done first in case it takes me a while. deer season is here so i tend to blow things off to go hunting  :)

mine's a pain to gas up.. have to trickle the fuel in so it doesn't come out of the vent or erupt out of the filler neck. takes forever. i'd love to fix that problem too while i have it apart.. but i don't know what the fix is.

Edited by dt5150

dt5150..... I had a 2150 and had same issues.  If I remember correctly, the vent hose sagged and created a trap point.  When I pulled the floor section to replace a rotted board, I moved the hose and corrected it.  Prior to that I simply put a "no spill" container over the vent when filling and that sufficed until I could correct.  Been a while but I am pretty sure moving that hose and eliminating the point causing the trap was all I did.

• 2 years later...

Dt5150,

thanks for the fuel tank pictures. I have the exact same boat. I recently purchased it, so I’m reaching out to you to shed some light on the 3 way valves. I don’t understand why there are two three way valves. It seems like you should only need one valve. One position for rack tank and the last position for off. Why are there two valves and what are the positions.  It seems like it’s drawing in both tanks at once. Can you help me out here?

thank you 

1F6342AC-B49A-4FBB-8CC3-2F268FC09A8E.jpeg

I have a 2000 2250 eagle.  There are 2 shut off valves because there are 2 gas tanks and 2 engines. 1 is for the main engine and 1 for the kicker engine. I took apart my big live well once years ago looking for a mysterious water leak, thinking one of the live well hoses was leaking. Taking that floor board out  was not that hard. Bad part was that I had to cut the floor vinyl because it wraps up the inside of the vertical free board. You also have to remove the wall in the back that forms the seat backs for the jump seats, but its not hard. Just a bunch or screws. A cordless screw driver and a bunch of patience is all it takes.  I also removed all the floor in my buddies old 1988 Eagle because to floor was getting really soft. I just traced the old floor boards on new plywood and rewrapped the plywood with new vinyl he bought from cabelas.  It turned out great. He had a fuel corrosion issue and we pulled both gas tanks and cleaned them out and reinstalled them. Problem solved. Lot's of work, but not complicated. By the way Olsen Brothers in Derby is a crestliner dealer and his mechanic might be able to help. Way cheaper to do the work yourself, but he may be able to price out a sending unit.

Jim V

Edited by pukingdog
updated text for clarification

By the way, my gas shut off valves are labeled but my boat is in winter storage so I can't take pictures.  Remind me in the spring and I'll post some pictures.  Each valve selects main engine or kicker engine or both off. Starboard valve is for main Engine and port valve is for kicker engine.  My boat is an I/O but I assume the outboard version is plumbed the same.

Edited by pukingdog
updated text for clarification

• 4 weeks later...

Ok sounds great. I’ll remind you about the pics in the Spring. 

QUESTION ,  both tanks have only one feed that goes to the fuel filter/water separator. Both tanks go to the same, screw on fuel filter. From that filter BOTH the kicker and main engine are fed. 

Hypothesis,

I’m wondering if the reason each tank has a three way valve is that each tank has a reserve. Do you recall seeing a label that said “reserve”. 

by the way, I Have confirmed that from the fuel filter I can blow air into each tank in two of the three positions. While one position is clearly “Off”. So I know where off is. I’m still trying to figure out the other two positions.

Thanks for you help. 

No there is no reserve label.

Like I said, 1 valve is for main engine and the other is for the kicker motor.

Mine also both feed to the same spin off fuel filter.  I have two fuel lines down stream of the filter. One feeds my I/O engine and the other feeds my kicker motor. See attached picture.

Happy to help

20170610_144211.jpg

Edited by pukingdog
updated text

• 5 months later...

I took a picture of the gas valves as promised. Port valve allows selection of gas tank for the kicker motor. Picture attached.  Allows you to get gas to kicker from either the main tank or the auxiliary tank or off.

Starboard valve is exactly the same but allows you select which tank you want to feed gas to your main engine. Main or aux  or off  for winter storage. Hope this helps.

crestliner gas valve port.jpg