Trolling with a kicker with my main engine off that has power assist steering and an auto pilot with a type r octopus drive.

scooter

Can someone give me some suggestions on how I  might solve my current problem. I have a 24ft Thompson that has power assist steering. 2 years ago I bought a raymarine ev200 autopilot system with a type r otctopus drive. The system works great. Just last year I decided to buy a kicker to save on engine wear and tear and fuel. The problem that I now have is that with my main off the auto pilot doesnt work it struggles to control because the power assist steering in not working unless the engine is running. Are there any solutions other than changing out the whole steering and auto pilot system? Can i install an electric hydraulic that I can switch to when the engine is off? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Shawn

I have the same problem,  i have a sport pilot and than installed a kicker, I went with a panther for steering but was so used to the auto pilot that I installed a tr-1 for the kicker,  it works great but I want to have both motors tied together so if we need to steer quick just grab the wheel....

let me know if there is a better way...

also, I hated the panther, used it twice, 

• 2 weeks later...

What’s wrong with just using the Tdr1 and forget about tying the two together . The boat won’t turn any faster than the remote can turn it without the main running. If you have time to turn the wheel on the boat you’ll have enough time to fire up the main also and get out of a bad situation. I have my motors tied together and with out the main running the boat won’t turn any quicker.

I use the main engine with autopilot on the rough days and the kicker with the Powertran Python on the others. So far in the 2 years i have had it the kicker has been used more times than not. The Powertran is a nice unit, turns fast and comes with hard wire and wireless controls. The wireless remote is sweet option, especially with only 2 guys in the boat or solo. Wear it like a necklace.

I tried the tie-bar option and it wasn't that hard to turn but the turn radius and reaction time was poor.

Several vehicles use an electric/hydraulic power steer pump. A few that come to mind, jeep grand Cherokees and mini Coopers, if your kicker has power output and your semi handy you should be able to pick one up in a junkyard and most of the harness and lines needed to overlay it on the existing power steering system, napa will be able to make any hoses you need with any fitting style,

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2