Lake Ontario Currents

I bought a new Humminbird sonar with all the bells and whistles. Now that I will be able to see the currents with my sonar and Fish Hawk. Whats the best way to fish them?? Do you guys troll with the current, against the current or zig zag in and out?? I know from the past I have done better trolling against the current as long as I can maintain lure speed at the ball. 

IMG_0747.thumb.JPG.5477e97dd2f73911c9569b1c3b334fa7.JPG`

its freakin awesome!! I have always had Lowrance HD units  and this Huminbird unit blows Lowrance out of the water. You can watch the fish in real time streak up into your down rigger spread. You can see the thermocline and Lake O currents on the screen clearly. I purchased it because a couple Lake Ontario Captains bought it and were sending me pictures of how awesome the scree picture was. I highly recommend it!!  I can post  a couple more screen pictures if you want to see more.

Top picture is a big pile of bait out over 200 feet of water. You can see my three down rigger torpedoes at 60, 70 and 80 feet.

2nd picture was the mouth of the Oswego river last fall with staging kings piled up.

3rd picture is probably the best. Thats a sonar picture of us jigging two tiny shiners and a single split shot below the boat while anchored. We are fishing for suspended stocked trout. Its like watching a video game. You can see our shiners and watch the trout swim up to them and hit them in real time. Totally amazing!!

Believe me when I tell you, this is the most amazing sonar I have ever seen or used. I did not take any pictures of the down scan or side scan in action yet.

I'm using the standard transducer it came with which I believe is the 60/200 MGH Transducer.

Edited by steelfire

• 1 month later...

Iceman, If you look at the bottom picture the Thermal cline goes down to 15 feet. I don't have any pics of the current line but I'm headed up to fish Lake O shortly for three Weeks so I will take a pic of some and post it here for you.  The current usually looks like a cure line or just a straight line of clutter down deep. It looks just like the thermal cline on my bottom picture but just down deeper in the 100 + foot range. You can change the settings on the Humminbird sonar to really see it good or not see it at all.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 12:50 PM, Puck5760 said:

Care to share your settings?  I'm trying to dial in my helix 7 but I can't seem to get my 16lb torpedos to show up past 80 feet without the sensitivity almost being maxed

The best thing I can tell you to do is to go to you tube and type in your units name. There a bunch of "how to use your unit and its settings" Thats what I did and then I permanently saved them to the sonar unit. I don't think I could tell you how to do it unless I watched the videos again myself.