What is the purpose of copper line

stan

I understand it sinks faster than leadcore. Do you get a whip action at the end ? does it put out a elect field that draws the fish ? could someone tell me the real purpose of it. I just got a new pen 340 and 8' okuma rod and 600' copper line and 200' 30 braid. So please tell me why I am going to use this. Erine has told me so much and it all works out here. My friends can not understand all these ways of fishing. Out here it's like the first computer, no one understands.

Oh yes I am headed to Lake Almanor Ca. to day for 4 days of brown fishing. surface temp 64.6 my friend told me

yes approx 22ft per 100 out,no whip,elect field is a theory weve all shared about braided wire on dypsys,it give you something to reel in everytime another rod goes off thats fun (not) ive got one in theboat and never use it unless ive got a willing victom on board to reel it in.

It's also fun to reel in when the fish are not hitting. The wire can be fun also if you don't release the dypsy.

All the different presentations( downrigger,leadcore,wire,superbraid,etc) produce their own signature as they draw a bait thru the water. At different times,fish attitude, water temp, etc one of these presentations may appeal to the species you are targeting more than the others. Also for some people they may prefer one presentation over another because it suits them well so they do well with it.

Well I just spent 3 days on Lake Almanor, hunting browns. We put spoons out , flies out and stick baits, with nothing, Used steel line , copper, downriggers, then the planner boards with a 50mm abu garcia , the wife had her brown. Everything I have learned from you guys has been great, fish count is up. Now with this copper , what is the proper way to hook it up after the line is on the reel ? please need some help

With all the reasons to have & use woven copper line, the best is the ability to untangle snarled messes in the back of one's boat , while doing battle with doubles on dipsey divers!!! It's just a beautiful Thing! It also helps the tackle sales stay consistant. Sorry for the negative input. It once was the best way to catch fish subsurface, prior to downriggers. Remember never cross behind vessels fishing copper outfits if you have your down riggers bottom tracking... You may be surprized how far 6oo feet really is!! Catch a boat save a fish! Capt. Randy

So I take it ,I just spent alot of money for nothing ? It's seems the brown trout guys like it for some reason. I know it gets a lot of bottom grass. But please guys , there must be something to it right ? Going to try off the planner board this week . I need a edge for this tournamnet on Oct 11th & 12th. I know the steel with a dipsy is one, and had great fishing with it...Little help here

Stan, did you post that you will be fishing a lake of only 44' depth of water? If so, have to agree with Matt that my approach on that lake would be to use cores or flat lines off in liners for greater spread as well as divers and riggers, depending on amount of people fishing and rods allowed. Not to say the copper won't take fish but with your purchase of 600' you could in theory tap bootom in app. 125' of water. In the great lakes fishing for browns a good starting point in summer is to find where the thermocline intersects with the bottom. This is usually within a mile or two of shoreline. At this time of year- out in your neck of the woods, can't speak for that. As mentioned also regarding copper, you need to be careful with it's application. I usually run it straight down the chute. I also use a float with it, in the event that a side diver or rigger takes a shot, the cooper then can be let out for geater clearance out the back of the boat. Don't want to say that you wasted your money on it, but personally depending on the depths of lakes you normally fish, I would have purchased a 300' first, if you are targeting browns- since the browns are somewhat more tolerant of temps to begin with.-Duane

NO I just fished Lake Almanor, and that one it's ave depth was 40'

------------------------------------------

The Shasta Lake Trout Derby is on Shasta Lake , and it's over 300' depth.

this is my home lake and where I want to try the copper. The lake is 365 miles of shore line and the water is down 150' from crest as of today.

1st place $ 3,000.00

2nd place 2,000.00

3rd place 1,000.00

they pay all the way down to 25th.

over the last 7 years the ave weight to win was 10lbs

There will be two of us and that 4 rods. I thinking we will start, one on each downrigger and one off each planner to start , then switch into dipsy. Suface temp has been 73.6 And I use the depth raider to find that honey spot.Great tool

Stan, Ok for whatever reason I thought you were targeting browns. Now if you are targeting lakers that is another story. Esp. if the surface temp is that warm. I would use your riggers, mag spoons ( with fixed slider if you are allowed to get an extra line in the water) or a flasher rig-cow bells at least off one of them if not of both. Then I'd use your divers, with spoons or e-chip as well. Fish the marks-then if some decent marks are at 100' or so ( I don't know the lake obviously) then you may want to try your copper straight out the back as well. We normally don't target lakers due to the salmon around, but when the fishing is tough, and just looking to put something in the boat, we slow our troll down from our normal salmon speeds.Hope this helps-Duane

Stan, are these Lakers prespawn to spawn out there? You may need to slow down (1.8-2.4 @ the ball). Out here I have found Lakers to be very fond of the white smart fish flasher and green crinkle fly behind the wire dipsy(Mag.size black or clear). I use a long lead behind the dipsy to the flasher(8'+), this can make it difficult to net but it does work to trigger strikes. 180' of wire out gets you to 70'+- down. Another way you can also use that copper rig is to bump bottom with a spoon ( out here we use Sutton spoons) to trigger lakers that you can see on the sonar very closely associated with bottom structure even at great depths, but I have not used this technique during the pre to spawn period ( that is where these fish are out here).Where are you marking lakers in this lake? That will tell you which presentations will be good bets- in general lakers are more speed tolerant than other species but depth can be the key.Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...