General BS Topic - Dual, Center Console or Walk around boat for trolling

Having a debate with a few buddies...... which type of boat is really better for trolling and family cruising? I have a dual console....so I am asking for thoughts on which type of hull is best.......

thanks, Dave

Depends on what your budget is. Quite a few nice used  28-34 CC for 100,000 and up. Theses are usually docked,not trailered. I have also seen some nice 26' dual consoles, relative has one,cost him 150,000+ new. I personally like a 28-34' express cruiser with straight inboards if money is part of the equation . If I am out cruising with family and fishing give me the biggest express cruiser you got, if money is not a question, a 45' Buddy Davis would ring my bell !

Edited by Bozeman Bob

I have a walk around, smaller than the above mentioned, and I love it. Has an outboard which I prefer. It trolls well, good size fishing platform, has room for storage, potty for my wife and daughter, also access to the front of the boat (which my kids love) while out and about on the lake or anchored. If I were to upgrade, it’d be another walk around, with a hardtop with curtains and rocket launcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have a 20.5' center console.  In hindsight I sort of wish I had a walkaround.  The lack of anywhere to store stuff on the CC is my big issue, with exposure to the elements/spray being number 2.  If I was looking for something now, I think I'd go for something in the 23'-25' range walk around.  For me trailerable by a half ton pickup is a requirement and I also like to be able to use it as a family boat in addition to fishing it.  I prefer a single outboard as well and a kicker with a garmin TR-1 gold would be super awesome.  

I have a 23' walk around and love it. Really thinking about rebuilding it and running it a lot longer. Only other boat I would consider is one of the west coast plate aluminums. King fisher, hewescraft, ect something with a pilot house.

I have a 2452 hard top it has a full kitchen and an enclosed flush toilet. my wife and I love it.  but we hardly ever have more than 4 people at a time when we are fishing. it fishes 4 people great even 5 is good but it doesn't have the deck space of a fisherman.

I own a 30 foot proline full walk around full cabin twin outboard 250's, she is set up with traxstech trolling bars nothing mounted in the gunwales, uses only the mounted existing rod holders.  She has a full head, kitchen, v berth and a mid cabin berth, lots of storage and huge open back deck with nearly an 11 foot beam.  Hard top as well, can troll dual rods each down rigger, four dipsys and three on each side planner boards for a comfortable 14 rods at once 15 if you throw one down the chute...  The walk around gives you the capability to change off to jigging or live bait fishing if you desire.  The bow has a cushioned seat and is deep enough to allow people to ride there.  I studied for a couple years before I selected this model.   It has a massive live well, and fish box in the hull.  For my needs it suits, but I don't spend time sleeping on it much yet.  It greatly depends on what you plan to use it for mostly, there are always trade offs fishing vs cruising.  This one has 300 gallons of fuel and a ridiculous cruising range on it.  You can see pics on my website...

I am running a 25' Proline WA/Merc 5.7 and really like it. If I could choose any boat tomorrow, I would pick the 29' version of my boat with twin four strokes or Etecs. I like the versatility of the WA, and the fishability of the deck outback.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If your top priority is fishing, a walkaround with lots of fishing room gets my vote. I'm loving my new/old Grady Gulfstream. Outboards are a must for me because some of the best fishing can be early or late in the season.

I think the ideal boat is a 25 foot Carolina classic or 265 albemarle for that price range.  You can find them all day long used in that price range. 

The 25 Carolina Classic and 265 Albemarle are great rough water boats under power, but they’ll roll horribly in a beam sea at trolling speeds because they have extremely deep V. A much better trolling boat would be the later Albemarle 268 that replaced the 265. Albemarle reduced the angle of the V making it more stable on the hook or trolling in a beam sea.

An still better similar size, age, and priced trolling boat would be something like 265 Grady. Even better than that for less money would be something like Vince’s North Coast 24 that’s for sale.