winterize boat

reel escape

Almost that time of year and I'm sure this question is still out there. What to do for the fuel in the tanks over the winter. Empty or full ,additives which ones? With the ethynol in the fuel what should be used...I see Stabil has one that's blue for fuel with ethynol. I have always used Seafoam and have had no issues. Just seeing what eveyone else is doing.

For: Marine Fuel Tank (Long term storage)

Due to the blended gasoline supplied in our area (Lake Shore Counties)...Keep the fuel level in your tank as close to empty as possible. Add gas stabilzer before putting the boat away. When Spring Start-up occurs, FIRST,add three quarts of isopropyl alcohol to the empty tank and then add 10 gallons of fresh fuel. The alcohol will pick up any water condensation in the tank and the fresh fuel will guarantee a quick start.

Long term storage of the present gasoline formulations in non sealed tanks quickly loses its low boiling point additives and goes sour in about 30 days depending on ambient temperatures and location. (All boat tanks have vents!!) Your car does not....the computer opens the vent in your charcoal canister...each time you start the engine.

I have done this for the last three years with a 65 gallon aluminum boat tank. Never have had any problems with "sour fuel." Just fired a 1985 Searay up that had sat for four years uncovered!! with no fuel in the tank. Alcohol then gasoline enabled a quick start-up. My friend on Long Island pumped out his 150 gallon tank (Wellcraft 10 years sitting!) and had trouble using up the old fuel! Had to mix it 50/50 with new fuel to keep his small lawn mower running.

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill

I do not use my 32 gallon built in tank any more. It is out and I use two six gallon plastic portable tanks. The plastic tanks have a vent seal so there is no temperature expansion problem with moisture. The volatiles can not evaporate out. I save the unnecessary weight of 20 gallons of gasoline that I do not use on every trip.

Once I failed to open the vent and the tank collapsed but it sprang back into shape with no damage. I do not need to take my boat to the gas station anymore, just the tanks and I avoid marina prices. Last winter I used the extra left over fuel for my snowblower.I do not have to worry about how much gas I have left, just pick up the can and you know.

Another change I made was my downriggers are off the boat. One less battery saved another 50 plus pounds off the boat. I use 6 good rodholders and use leadcore, jet divers and snap weights and in line planers when the water temperatures call for them and switch to "Dipseys" in the late summer. I think this solves my "old gas" problems and results in better fuel mileage.

jimski2 ,dude your like the old man in the sea ,60 years on the big ponds you better come up with some good (good oll days stories ) this winter when cabin fever fires up. Us youngins (except muskybob he's pretty old)would love to here some stories of days of your life (if your willing to share)......................Comon gramps tell us another story...............