Lowrance HDS 8 Gen 2 question

I've had this unit for nearly 3 years and love it.  I fished Cowanesque Lake in Lawrenceville PA recently and was surprised to see that the lake does not appear on my chart.  

Cowanesque is a man made reservoir built in the early 80's.

comments?

Does anyone have any comments on using a Navionics card?

thanks

I have Lowrance units but mine are the newer touch model.  Regardless, the pre-loaded maps that come with the units are pretty limited in most cases. I use a Navionics chip and it is great for the waters i fish.  I also have a Navionics Charts App on my phone.  I just looked at it and they have the outline of Cowanesque, but there is not detail/contour lines/depths, etc.  So, don't buy a Navioncs card in hopes of using it for that lake.  It just must be too small.

I just checked Navionics Web app and it has full contours for Cowanesque so I know I could download to my Navionics + card and view it on my HDS

Here's a link to the web app, not sure if it will work or not

https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#boating@13&key=kzf_Ghm}uM

Edit: The outline is all that shows from the above link, looks like you need to have Navionics Chart viewer installed to see the contour lines

Edited by mudflat

I just looked again.  The navioncs chip does have the lake detail under the "sonar charts".  I believe these are maps that are created from data from lowrance users.  They aren't the navigational charts.

IMG_2028.PNG

Thanks again Ivan. The pre-loaded (Insight) maps on my HDS have always sufficed but I was taken aback by the fact that this lake did not even appear on the maps.

I've always been curious about the Navionics Platinum cards.  I have always wondered If they worth the price

thanks Mudflat, I will check out the site.

You're welcome. This is what you want if you get a navionics card.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Navionics/1580199.uts?productVariantId=3410222&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03628142&rid=20&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl77B2t6v2wIVzbrACh2wfQTUEAQYAyABEgI0EPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

They send you a blank card with a one year membership where you can go to their website and download any of the lake regions you want on the card. I downloaded from the St Lawrence over to Minnesota, down to Tennessee and Kentucky, as well as Ontario and some of Quebec on my card.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United