Lead core question

I spool each rod with mono backing, then 150 yds of power pro, 10-20 ft of 30 or 40 lb mono, then specifically a number of colors of lead core (be it 5, 7, 10 colors etc.) and then 20-30 ft of 20 or 25 lb flourocarbon.

When attaching to the planer board, I let all the lead core and 5-10 ft of the heavy mono.

On 5/31/2018 at 8:05 PM, hookedupf7 said:

When you guys talk about running say 8 color or 6 color core are you using a 10 core and just letting out that many or are you running that specific. If so how much backer are you letting out?

No.  I use these attached to releases with big planer boards that have a mast system.  Just spool on 5 colors to your backing and terminate with a 20 ft floro leader.  Let all the colors into the water plus another 50 ft of  backing line.  These work great early season when you are fishing shallower water.  Say 20 ft down over 40 fow.  I’ll mostly use copper from now till Labor Day.   If there is an upwelling and the fish are closer to the surface I’ll try a short core.

Edited by BAZOOKAJOE
  • Like 1

what releases do you use for core off the boards ? I'm assuming that have to be set tighter than normal correct ? Never use this set up but seems the guys are killing on this set up. Thank You !!!

• Like 1