Saskatchewan Spring Bear w/ Bow

Last week I was lucky enough to hunt with an outfitter in northern Saskatchewan on Brabant Lake for spring black bear (Bear Down Outfitters).  The first night on the stand I saw two bears and harvested the first one being a good size boar (approx. 250 lbs) at 14 yards with the bow.  The bear went about 50 yards before crashing into the woods.  It got interesting as I waited on my guide when I heard a twig snap and spotted a large wolf coming downwind and caught the scent of my bear.  Luckily, the guide showed up 10 minutes later and we recovered by bear but the wolf had already dragged my bear about 40 yards and ate a portion of his hind leg.  Any longer and I would not have been able to salvage my bear.  Wolves were everywhere with tracks and sign at almost every spot we saw.  

The rest of the week I fished for northern pike on the lake, the fishing was unlike anything I have ever experienced.  Easily boated close to 200 fish over the course of the week, the last day I caught 69 alone.  The country out there was untouched and it was an incredible adventure.  One of my bucket list items I always wanted to do.

Tomy

IMG_1036.JPG

IMG_1040.JPG

IMG_1051.JPG

IMG_1055.JPG

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Luck E Reel said:

Always wanted to do this myself. Was it expensive?

It’s one of the more reasonable hunts but like anything there is a range of different cost options depending where you go

39 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

Really cool stuff!  could you have harvested a wolf there as well?

No, but if I felt ‘threatened’ I could have shot one.  Over there, you can legally only trap them.  I had no shot, some of the thickest woods I’ve seen 

• 7 months later...
9 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

That’s incredible! Where’s it going to go in your house?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I had rings mounted on it so I can put it on my wall...two little girls and a lab at home...don’t want to take any chances!

Congrats on a great bear. I'm not big on watching hunting shows but one that I do make a point of catching is Dean Partridge's Canadian Whitetail. Because of that I'm truly interested in a Saskatchewan hunt. The whitetails up there are huge! Did you fly in?

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, tangledline said:

Congrats on a great bear. I'm not big on watching hunting shows but one that I do make a point of catching is Dean Partridge's Canadian Whitetail. Because of that I'm truly interested in a Saskatchewan hunt. The whitetails up there are huge! Did you fly in?

Flew into Saskatoon and guide picked us up and drove 6 hours North to Brambant Lake where the camp was. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, trouthunter24 said:

The mount is awesome what an adventure !!! Too bad no wolf tags that would be an incredible bow kill as well i see them trapped on you tube alot of vids there .

Thanks.  No way I could have got a shot into it anyway, unbelievably thick where I was hunting.