First time pulling copper.

kayslay is right the victrola is the way to go when pulling copper.The rods are better used for pulling cowbells  or running Seth Greens than for copper jerking. The action imparted from a rod is quite different from the artfully delivered hand motions and can make all the difference in the  world once you develop the right feel and rhythm. For shallower wire use using monel or copper is the A and S automatic reel but the victrola will get you deeper when the fish go deeper. The thing to check with victrolas is the strength of the spring or springs as some have 2. There are also versions that hook up to battery power. The important feature is that they take up the slack as soon as you release it from your hand eliminating the coiling of the copper where problems can occur (e.g. kinking).

Edited by Sk8man

Mike that spoon is an Ace #4 with the spade logo on it. The original spoons were the Pfleuger that came in a #4 and a #5 (little larger). There have been a number of look alikes over the years such as the Hong kong version Pfleuger (very similar to the original), and the Bladerunner among others but the closest (and best) current replica is the Great Lakes #4. The original pfleuger came in the nickel finish, herring finish and blue mullet finish. Great Lakes Lures makes the silver one and the blue mullet in size #4 and they work great. the Ace that you have is stamped from stainless steel so the finish is not as reflective as the original Pfleugers or the Great Lakes version but the action down deep is similar so it does the job. If you are going to get into the copper pulling you might want to contact Jason at Great Lakes Lures or Fishy might have some in stock or be able to get them..... they can make a difference in your results. When using this type spoon it is best to tie directly to the copper wire with a small loop so the spoon can freely move and a haywire twist. If flutter type spoons are used a leaderis often used both with or without a weight attached to a dropper line suspended a foot to two ft below it.

Edited by Sk8man

Mike, there’s some good info right there. Also if you were to get your hands on what they call a “Twin Minnow”, which is a flatfish type design with a treble hook on the end of it, is a lot of fun and easy to learn as well. Tie your copper directly to a bead chain with hay wire type twist as Les mentioned, but then run a 36-46 inch 50lb mono leader, tied directly from the other end of the bead to the eye swivel of the flat fish, then let your copper out until you feel the bottom thumbing as you hold it. You don’t necessarily jerk it as you hold it most of the time, only jerking it every once in a while to make sure you have bottom and to make sure you feel no weeds or mussels on it. Sometimes it’s deadly and a whole lot of fun when they hit. By the way, from old school when we didn’t have boxes either and just a extension cord reel to store it on once we let it out we would bring the fish in laying it in the boat all the time with no tangles. It’s hard to explain but once you get the hang of it you get good at it. Spreading the copper out on the floor of the boat in a large area is better than trying to keep it small as say a nest. If you get a box though it does make it extremely nice, but you can get by for now with a little patience. Like Les, there’s some copper magicians on here.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

8 hours ago, FishingTheFL said:

I went out with a buddy and he showed me the right way, the right feel. I got it down for sure. Maybe there was slack but I just held tension usually till they stop their ential head shake. Then started hauling them in. 0 for 7 this morning. All but 2 felt like solid fish. Definitely fun but I need a rod. The rod is only $238. I didn't check to see how much copper was on it tho. All fish were active between 20 and 35 feet today. Nothing out deeper. Just got tired of the waves picking up. Couple days out the west coming up. I'll give it a shot then.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Don't spend that on a pulling copper rod for the finger lakes call me

x2 what Frogger said -- Twin Minnows are laker candy, favorite was usually black with white belly, although I'm not sure the color really made a difference.  Also not sure if they're still being made, but did see a few at Bear's shop at Myer's recently.  I used a 10 - 15' heavy mono leader tied to a barrel swivel from the copper, the stretch helped a bit.  Also replaced and used a heavier-duty and larger (#2) treble on the Twin Minnow.  Put the victrola away and began jigging when the zebras came to town, became a lot of work to constantly pick them off the hook and/or have my leader cut up.  Really miss it though, probably one of the most fun and effective way to catch lakers.  Keep bangin' that bottom - when in doubt let out more copper... :) 

I have two setups. Hand held extension cord feel which works nice and one mounted on a trip pod but it's a pain to hold it down and crank... I was surprised just the hand extension cord feel worked better. Was easy to wrap the slack up and then start cranking on the handle on the side.

Jason is on my friends list so I will contact him this week.

My last kickers was a 4 up Evinrude 4win. Moved me around nice even in the chop but I think the shaft was to short. How do in know what shaft length I need? I seen a 2015 brand new at a dealer for around $720+ tax.

Mike here are some pics I posted some time ago of the relevent items:

variety of spoons, twin minnows, and basic victrola and A and S automatic reel

copperjerking.jpg

victrolaaands.jpg

Put the victrola away and began jigging when the zebras came to town, became a lot of work to constantly pick them off the hook and/or have my leader cut up. 

Growing up 40 years ago I remember pulling copper on Canandaigua with my dad and grandfather. Lots of good memories...

Can't imaging doing it now with all the Zebra mussles in the lake - even jigging if you let the jig sit on the bottom for any length of time, the little bastards grab on for the ride.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Until you get a victrola, try dropping the wire into a 5 gal bucket or cut the bottom 2ft or so off a garbage can, it will be a little wider and coil better.

Mike the guys make some good points to consider before investing your money. The zebras and quaggas weren't there for much or most of my copper jerking and now you may also have to consider the gobies as well carpeting the bottom in the shallower reaches. Maybe see how it goes for awhile first with the more fundamental approach before getting too far into it too soon.:smile:

• Like 1

...regarding zebras - I have a copper-pulling lake-neighbor on Cayuga who uses a heavier spoon (fixed, single hook Pfleuger, Sutton 22S, etc.), but also adds a small plastic swimbait threaded over the hook point.  Adds a bit more action, but says it more-importantly assists as a "zebra-guard", similar to a weed guard for bass.  Says it works well, I'll have to try it...

JJBat150 - As far as jigging goes, thankfully zero zebra issues so far over many years (single-hook jig with hook point positioned skyward).  Jigs with a treble hook are another story...

I think I recall the Johnson Silver Minnow made a large weedless spoon that had the flexible metal strip protecting the hook somewhat too.The mussels can adhere to some very small objects though I know we've even had them on the tiny end of wire protruding at the bottom of small bell sinkers while perch fishing

Edited by Sk8man

Think I need a gas kicker before I get more gear. Last few times out I couldnt get the right feel. Probably couldn't go fast enough with the current or something. First night out I went out with a north wind that died down. Feel was perfect. Last few times after that it didn't seem to have the action or feel. Still caught some.

Mike - your speed does need to be right and is critical to what your are running (spoon vs. twin minnow). The main trick to it is maintaining the feel of the bottom and the tick ticking feel. Problem comes when speed is too fast, or bottom changes to something very soft (muck or sand). bottom drops off unexpectedly, too much wire out and it bellys out with lure suspended above bottom (especially when using mono leader where you lose the feel more easily), and as you mentioned current can play a role. Jerking copper effectively takes some experience, developed skill, and especially focus of attention paid to details:smile:

Edited by Sk8man

22 minutes ago, FishingTheFL said:

Think I need a gas kicker before I get more gear. Last few times out I couldnt get the right feel. Probably couldn't go fast enough with the current or something. First night out I went out with a north wind that died down. Feel was perfect. Last few times after that it didn't seem to have the action or feel. Still caught some.

when in doubt let more out.

I know it's my speed. Looking into a 2015 6hp. Might look used but I haven't seen any. Besides if I buy brand new it should last 10+ years. I can feel the tick tick tick but I'm using a little electric tiller and can't get enough speed. I was just messing around the first day. Must been a feeding frenzy. Keeping the rock snot off the lure seems to be the problem now but they seem to bite it even covered in green goop. Either way it was fun.