Beginner musky fisherman looking for advice on rods. I'm just starting to put together a musky bait and rod setup. I would like to buy some inexpensive rod and reel setups to start with. I've been looking at the basspro graphite series musky series. Probably and Abu Garcia ambassadeur reel for them. Any opinions, recommendations or offers on used baits and rod/ reel setups are welcome.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I’ve used the Bass Pro Graphite Muskie rods and I think they are a great rod especially for the price when you are just starting out considering all the release tools and baits you’ll be buying at the same time too.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

St. Croix's makes the Mojo Muskie Rod series. Great rods.
https://stcroixrods.com/collections/freshwater-mojo/products/mojo-musky
Ive looked at the st Croix rods and do like them but I'm lacking in baits and was trying to save a Little on the rods. I do think that once I get more baits and proper release tools I will upgrade the rods to either the premier musky or mojo musky

Ive looked at the st Croix rods and do like them but I'm lacking in baits and was trying to save a Little on the rods. I do think that once I get more baits and proper release tools I will upgrade the rods to either the premier musky or mojo musky

My advice is get a good rod from the start rather than paying for two. If you like the St. Croix, then save up and buy it when you can afford it.

Owner John's Custom Rods

Specializing in building Great Lakes trolling rods since 1979

First place winner of the 2016 World Rod Building Challenge

I agree better to get a good rod as soon as finances permit. I tried a few and really liked the Mojo series. Darn fishing gets pricey.
Yes it does. Sounds like the st. Croix rods are the way to go. I already have around a dozen st. Croixs for bass fishing and love them all so I'm sure the mojo musky series are good too. I have an Abu Garcia ambassadeur bcx 6600 reel that is on a rod I don't use anymore. I think it will work fine for musky but has anyone tried them personally?

I can buy any rod I want as I have out lived my mortgage and 10 year boat loan. I have a bunch of them including some St Croix legend tournament jobs. But my favorite is my bass pro 7’6” rod. So old it says Pete Maina on it. It was $99.00. They are $119.00 now. I boated a 56” on it yet it’s still flexible enough to have fun with a 35” fish. They also make a longer 2 piece rod that sucks. It will break while you’re getting the net in place. Spend your money on a top shelf reel.

I can buy any rod I want as I have out lived my mortgage and 10 year boat loan. I have a bunch of them including some St Croix legend tournament jobs. But my favorite is my bass pro 7’6” rod. So old it says Pete Maina on it. It was $99.00. They are $119.00 now. I boated a 56” on it yet it’s still flexible enough to have fun with a 35” fish. They also make a longer 2 piece rod that sucks. It will break while you’re getting the net in place. Spend your money on a top shelf reel.

Well I'm thinking these will get me going and they were on sale. When they burn out ill replace them with something better. Had to get something besides the mojo bass flipping stick. Wrist is killing me without the foregrip. I underestimated the pull on those tandem inlines