Cayuga Cayuga Lake North End

I am vacationing on Cayuga lake this year with my family and will have the opportunity to get some fishing in. The only problem I see is that we are staying at the north end of the lake by Seneca Falls and I want to fish for salmon and lakers. Looking at my charts I see if I go down by Aurora across the lake there are depths from 100-300' deep. Is that far enough down the lake to get into the salmon and lakers? I will be fishing dipsys on wire rods mainly. Also any help would be appreciated as to whether the west or east side would be a better starting spot.

There are depths over 100 ft. out from Burroughs Point south of Canoga on the west side. Aurora is a ways south on the east side. If you are trailering your boat I would launch at Deans Cove on the west side as it is a straight shot down Rt89 from SF. You could then fish both north and south from there and be in potential landlock and laker territory right from in front of the launch itself and possibly be closer to getting off the lake if the weather takes a turn for the worse with a north wind. It can be productive fishing right out front of deans and taking a northerly path along the west side and then coming down the east side by Aurora. You have to be careful near Aurora as it comes up real fast out front of there like a wall so be monitoring your wires or downriggers carefully. It also comes up pretty fast on the shelf south of Deans on the west shore. Good luck.

Edited by Sk8man

There are depths over 100 ft. out from Burroughs Point south of Canoga on the west side. Aurora is a ways south on the east side. If you are trailering your boat I would launch at Deans Cove on the west side as it is a straight shot down Rt89 from SF. You could then fish both north and south from there and be in potential landlock and laker territory right from in front of the launch itself and possibly be closer to getting off the lake if the weather takes a turn for the worse with a north wind. It can be productive fishing right out front of deans and taking a northerly path along the west side and then coming down the east side by Aurora. You have to be careful near Aurora as it comes up real fast out front of there like a wall so be monitoring your wires or downriggers carefully. It also comes up pretty fast on the shelf south of Deans on the west shore. Good luck.
Thanks for the info sk8man. I was planning to dock the boat at the house but trailering may be a good idea at that distance. I do see the depths you are talking about outside of Canoga which wouldn't be a bad run with the boat. The shelf isn't as steep there and is more gradual but gets steeper as your run south. Is that a good starting point by Canoga and then work south?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I know docking it at the house would be the nuts, but depending on how much north it is and the size of your boat both of which which are unknown to me, I suggested trailering to Deans for two reasons: a) the deeper water is closest there whether north or south is desired and you can fish immediately right off from the ramp, and b) if the wind is from the north or south (commonly) you can choose your direction of troll to go with the wind in most cases. Again, not knowing the size of your boat this could be important as the weather lately has been real sketchy and Cayuga like Seneca can get VERY nasty, so with a smaller boat especially it can b e prudent not to be many miles away from safe harbor. As I recall (not having the map in front of me) it is quite some distance from Canoga before the deep water starts at about out from Burroughs Point at the west and Ellis on the east shore and I don't think the water to that point doesn't get over 30 or so feet before then as it is prime perch territory (e,g, Frontenac and Farleys etc.). If you have a good sized safe boat I'd make the run there and start at Burroughs out in the middle and select your desired side from there. There are bunches of pike and pickerel in that shallower stuff north of there which even running riggers shallow etc. you could be wasting time and definitely can't run the wires effectively in there.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

You make great points. I am running an 18' boat so rough water can be a real challenge. I will probably do some bass and perch fishing in the north end, but I will take your advice and on the day's I want to go out deep I'll load it up on the trailer and head south. Luckily we are right next to the Cayuga lake state Park so getting the boat on the trailer is quick and easy. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Cool and you're very welcome. Be careful at that launch too because it can get pretty shallow there depending on water level. Good luck.

Edited by Sk8man

The parking scenario for trucks & trailers kinda sucks but you'll manage (Up the hill across the street). If you motor south on the west side, you'll pass Red Jacket Yacht club (you'll see the sail boats).  Not long after you'll drop to 100 FOW and see large green lawns on the west shore.  You can setup there and troll east.  You'll see farm silos on the east and west shores that you can troll between.  Have fun!  Can't wait to see the reports!

I have  good luck by Aurora for lakers And land locks. It’s like 120 or so. And on the west side is good as well. Just north of long point state park. 

Edited by scotch and sodus
  • Like 1

I do make the run all the time from those fishing grounds to the north end for lunch it's like 15 minutes at around 30mph plus it's just a nice ride if weather looks steady I know I would rather enjoy the water over the road lol but that's just my thoughts haha. You'll be there at a great time should be fun 80-150fow and wires out 170-270 on mags for me are usually very very consistent

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

On a nice day with calm weather predicted I wouldn't have any problem with that run at all. You are right I'd much rather ride in the boat than the truck. Weather forecast will certainly play a key role in what I do. I know I am looking forward to getting up there and putting everybodys advice to use.

1 hour ago, GoneFitchin said:

On a nice day with calm weather predicted I wouldn't have any problem with that run at all. You are right I'd much rather ride in the boat than the truck. Weather forecast will certainly play a key role in what I do. I know I am looking forward to getting up there and putting everybodys advice to use.

Watch out for strong south winds in the forecast.  That lake can get some pretty big waves at the north end with a south wind.  Anything else, you'll be fine.

On 6/5/2018 at 2:07 PM, GoneFitchin said:

I am vacationing on Cayuga lake this year with my family and will have the opportunity to get some fishing in. The only problem I see is that we are staying at the north end of the lake by Seneca Falls and I want to fish for salmon and lakers. Looking at my charts I see if I go down by Aurora across the lake there are depths from 100-300' deep. Is that far enough down the lake to get into the salmon and lakers? I will be fishing dipsys on wire rods mainly. Also any help would be appreciated as to whether the west or east side would be a better starting spot.

I will be there for the 1st time in the 1st week in July as well, maybe we can work together to try to figure this fishery out.  

Also, I have been checking this site out for a few weeks and I am really impressed with the willingness of the regulars to share information.  Not something you see everyday and it is greatly appreciated, I have my notebook full of information that I was able to get off these forums.  Thanks to all!

I will be there for the 1st time in the 1st week in July as well, maybe we can work together to try to figure this fishery out.  

Also, I have been checking this site out for a few weeks and I am really impressed with the willingness of the regulars to share information.  Not something you see everyday and it is greatly appreciated, I have my notebook full of information that I was able to get off these forums.  Thanks to all!
Good luck I was there last year the first week of July and we were on the lakers. Almost as many as you wanted to catch. We fished powerplant north both shores on the drop offs. Man that was a fun trip. Met a few awesome guys while there who showed me the ropes too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I am actually there from July 7-14, but hopefully everything shared here will be a help to you as well. I have a good deal of experience with Lakers and salmon up on Ontario, but have never tried it on the finger lakes before. From what I get of it the gear isn't all that different, but knowing where the fish are at or are at least typically at is the biggest challenge in my mind. Everybody here has been very helpful and I continue to watch the reports that some of the guys put up on here frequently in which they share general information about depths and locations that are helpful.

I usually fish out of Deans then depending on the wind I'll follow it. Good fishing both north and south of Deans. Not sure if the salmon will be up that far because the water has been chilli but I have caught nice salmon north of deans this time of year. Good luck!

• 5 weeks later...

Finally got out on the lake this morning. The family vacation plan isn't leaving as much fishing time as I would like. I only got out for about 2 hours this morning. I started off Canoga point by the silos and worked south from 80 feet to 130 feet. Fished dipsys on wire out about 150'. UV peanut fly behind spin n glow worked for me couldn't get anything going on spoons for some reason. Landed a 26" Laker and a 25" land lock. For my first time out I felt it was a good start.