Slide Diver Basics

I am no expert on slide divers but I have used them and have put fish in the boat.  The lite bites are extremely useful when there are a lot of small fish that wont trip the conventional slide diver.  I have yet to find an accurate chart for the stock slide diver using 30 lb braid.  There is some info on their website as to the depth using other weights and lines.  I basically go off of a dipsy dive chart and subtract about 10% as the theory is the SD dont run quite as deep.  I run mine as a high diver out side the deeper dipsy on a 3 or 4 setting with the dipsy on a 1 setting.  I have been using 30 lb braid as mentioned but may have to go to wire when fleas get bad. You are better off using braid or wire instead of mono to avoid the stretch associated with mono.  any stretch makes it difficult to trip the diver.   I use a 30' to 50' section of 40 lb big game mono at the end of the braid for the diver to run on.  A bead is used to keep the diver off of the knot of a swivel thats attached to a 7' 30lb fluro leader. a flasher fly combo was deadly when i was on lake O. in mid May but you can run about any lure or spoon off of them.  Hope this helps a little

I am no expert on slide divers but I have used them and have put fish in the boat.  The lite bites are extremely useful when there are a lot of small fish that wont trip the conventional slide diver.  I have yet to find an accurate chart for the stock slide diver using 30 lb braid.  There is some info on their website as to the depth using other weights and lines.  I basically go off of a dipsy dive chart and subtract about 10% as the theory is the SD dont run quite as deep.  I run mine as a high diver out side the deeper dipsy on a 3 or 4 setting with the dipsy on a 1 setting.  I have been using 30 lb braid as mentioned but may have to go to wire when fleas get bad. You are better off using braid or wire instead of mono to avoid the stretch associated with mono.  any stretch makes it difficult to trip the diver.   I use a 30' to 50' section of 40 lb big game mono at the end of the braid for the diver to run on.  A bead is used to keep the diver off of the knot of a swivel thats attached to a 7' 30lb fluro leader. a flasher fly combo was deadly when i was on lake O. in mid May but you can run about any lure or spoon off of them.  Hope this helps a little

Thanks for the reply VooDoo! Just so I’m clear you are subtracting 10% off of the Dipsy that is set on the 1 setting? For example, if you’re running your DD 250’ down on the 1 setting, you are running your Slider 225’ down to achieve a similar depth as the DD? And with the 30 to 50’ of 40lb Mono segment before the bead/Barrel swivel and leader, are you letting out Line only to the connection between the Braid and Mono then locking in the slider or can you let out line beyond the knot and lock onto the Braid?
Thanks very much!
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

No,  same settings on the diver... for example.  If  a dipsy on #1 setting is reaching 50 ft. figure a SD on #1 setting is reaching 45'.  with the same amount of line out.  This is with comparable size rings.   Keep in mind that this is only a guess.  I intend to attach a Fish Hawk TD and do some experimenting.  you want to attach the diver to the mono.  and do not go past the knot  into the braid

as it could get hung up on the knot. I usually attach the diver to the mono about a foot or so from the knot.  an Albright knot is good for attaching braid to mono or wire to mono and is about the smallest size knot you can tie.