shrink wrap

Gene Shenk

Does shrink wrapping your boat really hold up to the winter's around WNY or is it that much better to just put the boat inside. I have a place to put my boat inside but it is 45 miles away and it is hard to get it out before may 1st and I was hopeing for some early brown trout action next spring.

I have 5 acres to store my boat outside and thought when I was ready to fish I could just cut the wrap off and go.

One more question I have a 18' boat with an outboard on it what do you think would be a good price for shrink wrapping if I was going to have it done.

Thanks

Gene

the wrap holds up great but you still have to make a (tent type frame for runoff ) if it were me id put a little time and money to make a frame and use plastic tarp .shrinkwrap will run around 150.00 between bungies and lumber and cover youll have less than 50.00 thats 100.00 for tackle or gas.

Put it inside. It's much better for the boat. If you're like me you'll want to protect your investment from the weather. Unless you shrink wrap the entire boat you can't keep the sun's rays or the wind or rain or snow or ice off of your hull, plus I've seen that shrink wrap leak lots of times. I used to store my first boat outdoors under a home made frame and tarp and it worked OK, but I had to do all kinds of maintenance on the hull and to the interior that I don't have to do now because I store my boat indoors. When I stored the boat outside the sun did all kinds of damage to the gelcoat and it needed major buffing & waxing each spring. Plus, with it inside, you can actually get into it and work on it over the off season without having to fiddle with the tarps. With the boat indoors, everything is out of the weather and it's dry. I worry a lot less about my boat over the winter with it indoors and it's in fantastic condition because it's totally sheltered from the elements for 6 mos out of the year.

Gene, have to agree with Bill. I have always stored my boats inside during the winter months. Yes you may pay more for it, but as he mentions just the peace of mind is worth it. I never liked the idea also about the melting and refreezing that takes place let alone the effects of sun, driving freezing rain and other winter elements. To me it is a very small insurance policy for a rather large investment. In as much that I decided this year in lieu of towing it home and storing, the boat is being stored inside up at the Oak. Pricing was very fair compared to what I would have had in it towing it home. So I.M.O. I'd store it inside, letting those know you may want access around the first of April-Duane