I have a vacation planned from June 27th through July 9th at kring point state park. Last year I couldn't find any bass or pike  and i am going back to try again this time for 12 days. Any advice to locate pike, bass or perch? I will be getting my Canadian fishing license so I can go anywhere. I heard grenadier island is a great spot and goose bay holds some pike but i can use some more advice on where to start and how to fish for them. I usually use live bait and cast occasionally. Thanks for any advice.

Haven’t been to Kring point in a couple years but my best luck was casting mepps musky killer in silver and drop shotting pike minnows.. for bass I used deeper diving crank baits like kvd next to rocks off Morgan island.. if your fishing off a boat then throw too water baits in calm shallow water like pencil baits or frogs. If no luck then try drop shotting the wacky rig in the shipping lanes around 10-25ft

I was there 1st wk of Aug last year. Had a hard time in Goose bay. Did manage a largemouth and 1 pike on spinnerbaits behind the cabins. But got a bunch of smallies either drop shotting or trolling cranks off the shoals at edge of shipping channel right out front. Also picked a few LMs just upriver from Excelsior shoals. Smallies were on almost every shoal then but bit one day and not next. 

Year b4 (2016) we camped at Wellesley during same week and I fished mostly eel bay. Cuaght a few there, again, on spinnerbaits.

Now in 2015, we were at Kring in 3rd wk of June. Water was cool like this year. Bass were still on beds in Goose and soft plastics were key. 

Now I am coming to Dewolfe Pt next week. So guess I will be concentrating on Bass/Pike in Lake of the Isles. Have done ok there b4. And nites and early mornings will be focusing on Walleye in main river edges. Good luck to you. Will try and post how I do.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2018 at 8:25 PM, hntnfsh00 said:

I was there 1st wk of Aug last year. Had a hard time in Goose bay. Did manage a largemouth and 1 pike on spinnerbaits behind the cabins. But got a bunch of smallies either drop shotting or trolling cranks off the shoals at edge of shipping channel right out front. Also picked a few LMs just upriver from Excelsior shoals. Smallies were on almost every shoal then but bit one day and not next. 

Year b4 (2016) we camped at Wellesley during same week and I fished mostly eel bay. Cuaght a few there, again, on spinnerbaits.

Now in 2015, we were at Kring in 3rd wk of June. Water was cool like this year. Bass were still on beds in Goose and soft plastics were key. 

Now I am coming to Dewolfe Pt next week. So guess I will be concentrating on Bass/Pike in Lake of the Isles. Have done ok there b4. And nites and early mornings will be focusing on Walleye in main river edges. Good luck to you. Will try and post how I do.

Great info How deep did you troll those crank baits? i drift with worm harnesses for walleyes on the river edge how do you go for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Well just got back from Dewolf Pt. Fishng on the whole was pretty good. Caught several nice LMB in Lake of the Isles on texas rigged watermelon seed worms. These were in mornings in just ft or 2 of water. Caught several SMB up to 3lbs in main river chanel edges of 30 to 60', trolling worm harnesses meant for walleye. Most of small gold blade hooks w crawlers. Got them both on Canadian side and off ABay and pts east. Caught some really nice perch in 60' (smaller fish were shallower!) on same rigs too.

But sadly, NOT ONE walleye, despite trolling bottom bouncers w stickbaits, worm harnesses, and gulp leeches, thru several stacked piles of walleye in 40 to 50' just off channel. The mornings were fun, the nights? Not so much. Tried a few nights till 11pm. But after dark, mosquitoes were RELENTLESS lmao! The only place I couldn't spray was my eyes lol, and they kept flying into them. I at least brought a clear face shield to run my CC at night without having to hide behind the console. lol.  

All in all, weather was good and vaca was great over all. Caught enough decent fish to have fun and keep it interesting. 

But didn't fish last day, as my 25yr old son, dropped his thousand dollar phone in the river (near the rift) while kayaking. Spent last day with him renting dive gear (he is certified) and 2 tanks, and doing 2 two hour shifts underwater looking for it w no joy. I did manage a pike while I was watching him dive. lol. Again, another great trip to SLR!!!

Well just got back from Dewolf Pt. Fishng on the whole was pretty good. Caught several nice LMB in Lake of the Isles on texas rigged watermelon seed worms. These were in mornings in just ft or 2 of water. Caught several SMB up to 3lbs in main river chanel edges of 30 to 60', trolling worm harnesses meant for walleye. Most of small gold blade hooks w crawlers. Got them both on Canadian side and off ABay and pts east. Caught some really nice perch in 60' (smaller fish were shallower!) on same rigs too.
But sadly, NOT ONE walleye, despite trolling bottom bouncers w stickbaits, worm harnesses, and gulp leeches, thru several stacked piles of walleye in 40 to 50' just off channel. The mornings were fun, the nights? Not so much. Tried a few nights till 11pm. But after dark, mosquitoes were RELENTLESS lmao! The only place I couldn't spray was my eyes lol, and they kept flying into them. I at least brought a clear face shield to run my CC at night without having to hide behind the console. lol.  
All in all, weather was good and vaca was great over all. Caught enough decent fish to have fun and keep it interesting. 
But didn't fish last day, as my 25yr old son, dropped his thousand dollar phone in the river (near the rift) while kayaking. Spent last day with him renting dive gear (he is certified) and 2 tanks, and doing 2 two hour shifts underwater looking for it w no joy. I did manage a pike while I was watching him dive. lol. Again, another great trip to SLR!!!

Thanks for sharing it's always interesting on the SLR. Walleye fishing up there has been tough I heard so don't beat yourself up over it. Sounds like you had fun catching other species. I am ready for the challange and hope for the best I appreciate the info and I will share my report. Hopefully no phones will be lost as last year my girl friend lost hers [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app