This will be the first year of having a probe. Very excited to know temps and speed but I'm curious as to best practices. I know "they" say the range is 40-60 but what is the tips and tricks for the time of year / time of day / sun cover etc. Is there a different program for different variables or do you all find "your" temp and keep the lines there ? My plan is to basically run the probe down, see where the high temp starts and the low temp ends and keep the probe ball on the deep side a few feet up and the high ball a few feet below preferred temp. Run 2 divers out in that range but also run 1 high and 1 low and see if they are biting elsewhwre. Any tips will be greatly appreciated ! Thanks !!

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I put my probe at 50 degrees.  Another rigger above it (62 degrees) and another below it (42 -45degrees).  I put my 2 high side divers on the opposite side if the boat as the high rigger and the low side on the other side. 

Edited by GAMBLER

One thing to remember is all probes are not created equal.
When you hear that someone is getting hits at 2.3 MPH, and at 48 degrees, keep in mind that the different makes of probes all read a bit different.
Well if guys are giving up the specifics like that, I'm sure I'll be able to dial in on the bite !!

21 hours ago, NymphO said:

This will be the first year of having a probe. Very excited to know temps and speed but I'm curious as to best practices. I know "they" say the range is 40-60 but what is the tips and tricks for the time of year / time of day / sun cover etc. Is there a different program for different variables or do you all find "your" temp and keep the lines there ? My plan is to basically run the probe down, see where the high temp starts and the low temp ends and keep the probe ball on the deep side a few feet up and the high ball a few feet below preferred temp. Run 2 divers out in that range but also run 1 high and 1 low and see if they are biting elsewhwre. Any tips will be greatly appreciated ! Thanks !!

I'm pretty new to using a probe myself, but this time of year I look for where the temp levels out. Two weeks ago I had 48 surface and 43 down 70 over 150 fow and deeper than that was all pretty much 42-43. So I set my gear up in the top 70ft. Not sure if that was the right thing to do but we caught fish so I'd say it worked well that day. We started out to 200 fow and I had 47 surface and 43 down 30ft, I didn't think that was good so we moved in to 150 and found what I thought was better water with the temps I mentioned earlier.

20 hours ago, Skippers Trophy 01 said:

One thing to remember is all probes are not created equal.

When you hear that someone is getting hits at 2.3 MPH, and at 48 degrees, keep in mind that the different makes of probes all read a bit different.

I think the point was...my depth raider might read 2.2....your fishhawk might need to read 2.7 to achieve the same speed.  If you run at 2.2 because that's what  you heard me say...you'd be running .5mph slower than I actually am.

Lots of good info here...but don't get in the "rut" of sticking to temp.  Keep a good eye on your graph and be sure to fish the marks.  Take note of the temps the marks are in...and in what conditions.

• Like 2

I think the point was...my depth raider might read 2.2....your fishhawk might need to read 2.7 to achieve the same speed.  If you run at 2.2 because that's what  you heard me say...you'd be running .5mph slower than I actually am.

Lots of good info here...but don't get in the "rut" of sticking to temp.  Keep a good eye on your graph and be sure to fish the marks.  Take note of the temps the marks are in...and in what conditions.

Kinda of what I figured. Setup with basic temp range, watch graph, marks all the same depth, get probe there, find that temp, fish that temp. Start at 2-2.5 up to 3-3.5 till the bites come. Trial and error,just trying to reduce the amount of error... But that is fishing !!! Thanks all for the tips

• Like 1

A few observations. We run a Moore Subtroll. Varying speed from 2.0-2.3 can be productive. For us that is 800-1000 rpm. Also finding a temperature break and working the break can produce some big fish. Change up speeds and presentations and then work that hard until it stops working.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Pay attention to your down speed when you get a hit, try to duplicate when your reset. Trust the probe ! as you will usually have quite a difference down speed vs surface speed. 

(Example) when trolling directly into the current your surface speed may be 1.5 mph or so and your down speed will be 2.5  , when you turn and troll with the current you may have to troll up to 3.5  mph surface speed to be at 2.2 mph at the ball.

Trust your probe !