worm harness mono or fireline???

OK so Im wondering what guys like for worm harnesses. Mono or superline leaders under the spinner blades.????? I lost a huge walleye last night with a Vanish 14 lb leader and Im thinking of retying all my worm harnesses to fireline crystal 14/6. Im interested in what other guys are using and what lb. test. One thing is for certain. Vanish sucks. This is not the first time it failed me. My fault for sticking with it. Anyone like the new Berkley Flouro ? Thanks BP

you cant go wrong with seagur but i actually buy all my snells from quick change- they are built on 8lb and i never lost a walleye because of it breaking the line. are you sure it couldnt have been another tooth critter?

I primarily run spinners for walleyes May through October and snell all my own harnesses with 15lb P-Line Florocarbon but Seaguar is great stuff also. I wouldn't snell spinners with anything less than 12lb and I wouldn't use braid although some people do but I think it tangles too much on spinner rigs and isn't very abrasion resistant. Couple of the lakes I troll have zebra mussels and a little heavier floro holds up real well to a lot of fish and a lot of bottom contact before you need to change the harness out. The floro also seems to get more bites on lakes where the walleyes are seeing spinner rigs all summer long and resists tangles more than lighter line.

I guess it depends on where you are fishing walleye but I just dont need see the need to run more than 8lb because i use floats on all my rigs to keep them off of the bottom. I fish them off of bottom bouncers with 6ft to the hooks. Are you dragging your spinners across the bottom or just above the bottom? I like my odds of hooking more line shy fish on smaller diameter line. As far as braid, it sounds great but tangles way too easy. My line from the bouncer to the hooks Never touches the bottom. I dont see how yours is breaking. If you have a weak spot in your line from dragging bottom then I understand. I caught alot of walleye over 8lbs this year using 10lb main line on my stickbaits. 17lb or 8 lb, it isnt going to matter if it touches a tooth. BP, you said you lost a huge walleye at night. If it were night, then you must have had it next to the boat to see it was a walleye and not another species. Was the problem in losing the fish at the boat? Was the line fine all the way until you tried to net it or something? Im trying to figure this out?

BP, I can give you the info on the snells I buy if you are interested. They are built on 8lb mono with size 4 or 6 red hooks ( your choice). They are 72 inches in length. They also have 1 chartruese bead on them. I buy 24 packs for 7.50. I use to tie my own but for 30 cents apiece I found it much easier to just use these. Hooks are sharp, and no breakage

Landshark,

It broke in the harness leader. The only thing I can figure is it was vanish. I have had many problems with vanish breaking in all different pound tests. Today I replaced all my flouro leaders 4lb-15 lb with new Berkley Flourocarbon. expensive but should be well worth it. I am certainly not the first to have problems with vanish, it is well documented. I am dumb for sticking with it so long. By the way it was not quite dark when I lost that fish, maybe it caught a tooth too. Thanks BP

I have had nothing but problems with Vanish flourocarbon-all my leadera are Seaguar. I have a couple of premade harnesses made of fireline-but I have the tangles as described so I do not use them. I make my harnesses out of 18# as it is stiffer and I like how it pulls in the water. I have used lighter premade harnesses and had many a hook break off with Erie eyes.

Walteye

BP.. I also had nothing but trouble with Vanish! I now use Seaquar and have had no problems with it. For Lake Erie, I use the 15 lb... for the smaller waters I go with 8 lb. I would suggest going with the "leader material", not just the floro line. It's stiffer and more abraision resistant.. although a bit pricier! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

The standard on Lake Erie is to run either 15 or 20 pound Seaguar Carbon Pro or Invisx, 4-6 ft depending on your preference, these rigs are tied up to run single blades like colorado's, large willows, or indiana's and can be run off inline weights and bottom bouncers. For spinner rigs that are for double willow harneses most guys use 30 or 40 pound Flourcarbon line in the same brand or Siglon line these are tied short 10-12 inches and we run them with your standard dispey and jet diver leaders. For Double Willow's or singles to run on dipsey's I use 30 pound Fireline in smoke or crystal. Smoke is proven itself over the past few year but the crystla is taking fish as well. I store these in the tube containers so when you pull them out they are limp and not all kinked up. The fireline will hold up to random steelies much better if you run into them.

Vanish is garbage throw it away, it's junk regardless of what pound test or what knot you use Berkley should take it off the market. Berkley 100% flouro in the gold package is good stuff as well, I've used it in 20 with great success. I will not run anything except Seaguar, Siglon or the Berkely 100% flouro and never any lighter than 15 pound test. I use plastic quick change clevis's only on both types of rigs.

Hope this helps. I've battled many large trophy size Erie walleye fun fishing and in tournaments and I've never been let down by these said lines structure fishing with boucert to dispey fishing on Erie.

Thanks Gonefishin for the info. I got all my Vanish and tossed it. I bought the 100%Berkley Flouro from 4-15 lb test. My days with Vanish are over. You are right a great company like Berkley, it is surprising they still have it for sale. I'll use the 15 lb for my harnesses. Thanks. BP