Big Gull lake '18

My buddy and I just spent 3 1/2 days fishin out of Kirks Cove cottages on Big Gull lake. Due to crazy winds we'll call it 2 days fishing. We left real happy! Between us we boated 33 eyes... with the slot being 16"+ to 19"+ there were 3 unders and 6 over the slot. Most fell into the 18" range which are just excellent eating. I got one fat 27 incher ... a bit over 7 lbs ..  that was a beautiful fish. By lake Ontario standards pretty small but on BG that's big. The fish there are beautiful dark and yellow from the brackish water.. and as I mentioned great eating for the table theyre as good as you'll find.  My buddy fished mostly floating jigs with a leech and I pretty much exclusively cast 1/4 oz jigs with twister tails and leech...all in about 10 - 15 foot of water.  2 very diff methods that gave equal results... 17 for me 16 for him. My favorite way to take walleye by far. Jim and Claire run a great place there at Kirks Cove. This was our 2nd year... I see it being an annual thing if not more.  

Great to hear.  4 of us are coming to Kirk Kove next Wed for 4 nights.  This is maybe our 5th year going there.  2nd year in June and we had good success June 2017 with a 31.5 incher and a 27.5 incher among a bunch of other nice fish.  Hope to repeat it this year.  Definitely agree with your comments on Jim and Claire.

I will be at Kirk coves this Sunday for 4 days, first time fishing big gull lake we usually go the French river but decide to try something new this year. I was actually just about to post if anyone has ever fished this lake what a coincidence that you just happen to post about it. Sounds like you guys used pretty much the same techniques we use in the French river. Cant wait for Sunday!!! I hear leeches are the way to go up there an I guess you just assured me in that with your post!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yeah it is...there's supposedly some big musky in there too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good lake for eater walleyes. Not many musky caught. I was there last week. Did well and most fish not in the slot were over. Here is one, and it shows their beautiful color. Stayed around the corner from Kirk's at Newtons.20180607_104555.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app