Magnum Metalz downriggers

Anybody have any opinions on the Magnum Metalz downriggers. I'm shopping for new riggers. They have all the features I'm looking for and a reasonable price. Got a good write up in GLA Magazine.

• Like 1

I read up on these, and I like the fact that they're continuing to try to improve their product, but I'm a bit dicey over why there were so many improvements to be made in the first place. Hopefully they'll be successful, stay in the market, and we'll have an additional option in future years. I'm looking forward to hearing first-hand feedback.

I saw them in person at a show. They are well put together. They didn’t cut any corners. I’m a mechanical and electrical engineer, and have a machine shop in my garage.

They also had a video playing of them testing them. In the video they were lifting 100 lbs of weight up and down about 15 feet (in air at full speed) very impressive.

That’s my next set of riggers!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

I have been watching these riggers evolve and they are second to none compared to any rigger out there, they can lift 100# no problems, and they can do it with agility, even stop 100#’s 1” from the floor, and lift a 20# weight with a 6’6” boom!! Yes they have a auto stop that is sweet with a spring to cushion and activate the auto stop. The biggest factor to me is they aren’t so damn fast like all the other riggers out there. I have no clue why these companies went with this asinine thought, even at 200’ of cable you can’t wait a minute till the ball comes up then then maybe you need to see a doctor and ask for some Ritalin pills:lol:. These are by far the best riggers the market has seen. I hope they can keep their prices in the working mans price bracket. I have used cannon riggers, and 4-5 other brands, and the riggers I like the best are the Invaders, I bought in the spring, their technology in these riggers are a dream in most of the units out there. They would still be in business to this day if there wasn’t 3 brothers and the father that passed away, and the two other brothers weren’t fishermen and thought the rigger business bringing over a million$$$ a year wasnt worth the multi million$$$ they were bringing in in the automotive industry. Sad!! I really should sell the 3 sets of riggers I have collecting dust. LOL

• Like 1

Well maybe I didn’t read and see it right on there site they did show a slipping clutch and then there was no hand near the on-off switch and the rigger stopped at the spring?? I just assumed it was showing the auto stop?? You could be right but I’m only saying what I saw on their site. I saw on a utube video they show a slipper clutch.

3 minutes ago, shinintimes said:

pap if I'm not mistaken you can upgrade the motor for better speed but like you said a bit of a wait never killed anyone 

Ha Ha yea I agree, I’ll wait a 30-60 seconds rather than have rods tips ripped off because in the heat of the moment you didn’t notice a loop around the rod tip or a reel you didn’t throw the clicker arm back, and snapp’O man I hate seeing a $250 probe bouncing off the boom. I set my auto stop at the water surface on my mag 20’s  Take care my friend!!

To each there own. I will take my chances on the magnum metalz bouncing the probe of the tip with there clutch system versus a cannon that the auto stop could malfunction on. I can guarantee more probes have been lost to the bottom of the lake by other manufactures with auto stop then by magnum metalz.

88I've been running them since April and am very happy.  They don't have an autostop but the clutch system will not break off a ball.  They are machine very well.  I would recommend for the price.  Call the shop and they'll answer any questions.  Also made in the USA! 

• 2 months later...

Since nobody has used them I figured I'd post. Last week I went out on a limb and bought a Magnum Metalz rigger. I had talked to the owner before buying. One thing that sold me on it was something he said to me. He said "buy the rigger and use it for a week, if you don't like it send it back and I'll refund your money". That's something you can't turn your back to. So I got it in a week and brought it up with me and installed it. It was an easy install on my Traxstech swivels and I put it through 5 days of hell fishing the LOC derby. There's a lot of options when buying it and the speed of the motor was one of them. I have Cannon mag 10 STX and they're fast. Too fast. They're 250ft a minute. The MM's are either 140 or 200fpm. I bought the 140's because to me there's no sense the rigger sitting there swinging while I reel my line in. I could reel my line in and the rigger would be just coming up so I was happy with the 140fpm. The rigger is small and all aluminum. No junk plastic. No broken rodholders. I could swing on them and they won't break or bend. I bought a 2 piece boom and it doesn't flex with a 16lb Shark weight. the swivel head is designed so the wire can't foul in it. The motor is whisper quiet which is a pleasant surprise. I know everyone wants a short stop. Their design for that is to have the clutch slip when the weight comes up. I was a bit nervous setting it up with the probe on that rigger. So at my dock I played with it. It's flawless. The weight comes up, the spring takes what little shock there is and the clutch slips. No issues with the setup on the lake. I'll have to see how the clutch holds up after time but so far  it's works great. All I can say if you're looking for an alternative to what's out there than this might be it. I love mine and I'm buying another this week to replace the other Mag 10.

Total Chaos

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I bought two at the end of 2018 season, Prior to that I owned cannon riggers got tired of having cannon riggers in the repair shop in august of 2018 (riggers in shop again talked with MARK FROM CANNON he stated he would look into it and get back to me I MUST have called his phone left messages  at least 15 times still haven't herd from him as 1/18/19 

Edited by zipnzim

• 1 month later...

Suprised to hear of so much trouble with cannons. I've had mine thirty years and just had them rebuilt. I fish alot but I must not be fishing enough. After rebuild they are ridiculously fast

I bought two at the end of 2018 season, Prior to that I owned cannon riggers got tired of having cannon riggers in the repair shop in august of 2018 (riggers in shop again talked with MARK FROM CANNON he stated he would look into it and get back to me I MUST have called his phone left messages  at least 15 times still haven't herd from him as 1/18/19 

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Suprised to hear of so much trouble with cannons. I've had mine thirty years and just had them rebuilt. I fish alot but I must not be fishing enough. After rebuild they are ridiculously fast

I just put a new board in one of my 4 year old STX riggers along with the clutch hardware. I abuse my riggers laker fishing but my old Mag 20’s lasted a lot longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Mine r mag 10a from 1980 but boat is garaged every night. Never outside in weather. Maybe mine just aren't fancy enough. God knows I go thru enough electronics

I just put a new board in one of my 4 year old STX riggers along with the clutch hardware. I abuse my riggers laker fishing but my old Mag 20’s lasted a lot longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app