How much thrust electric for 14 ft. aluminum?

I have a 14 ft. Blue Fin with a 10 hp Honda.  I plan to use it on small lakes and ponds.  I think I would like to bow mount an electric trolling motor for maneuvering around.  What would be the least thrust I should consider?

Depends how fast you wanna go! My 17' Lund came with a 46# Motorguide which moved the boat OK but I've sinced upgraded to something way better. I would think a bow mount 46# would be more than enough for your boat, but the extra thrust comes in especially handy on those windy days. 

I also had a transom mount minn kota (36# I think...) on an old 12ft aluminum that pushed it good. 

Keep in mind the bigger you go the more battery usage which also applies to the throttle:smile: You should be fine with a 55# and can get by with a little less. Some of it depends on your battery size/capacity too. Hopefully your Honda has an alternator too.

Edited by Sk8man

Seems the general rule of thumb is buy the biggest you can afford. That's what I did when I upgraded, although more so bought the biggest within the 24v range because I don't have room for 3 trolling motor batteries + cranking battery.

I use a 40# thrust motor on my 16ft aluminum utility boat. It's a light boat and has no floor. Sometimes I run my 25hp outboard, and sometimes I run my 3.3hp outboard. My boat has a size 24 battery for the trolling motor and a separate size 24 battery for my two Humminbird fish finders (859 DI & 959). The boat also has two manual Penn downrigger with 2ft booms.

The 40# motor works fine on all but the windiest days, and it's a transom mount motor.