What flashers should i buy to start a flasher collection.

This is my first year salmon/trout fishing on Lake Ontario.  Ive been building a collection of spoons and lures over the past few months and am pretty well rounded on spoon sizes and colors bieng a bought a lake ontario charter captains entire spoon collection. So far fishing lake ontario ive been running 3 downriggers with two poles stacked on each.  I have no dipsys yet or wire lined setups but i also do run a leadcore off the side. I am new and clueless about flashe/fly setups and flasher cutbait setups.  So my question to you senior vets of the lake is where to start with buying flashers. I understand different conditions may require different colors and styles.  But where do i start there are somany flashers to chose from.  Thank you.  

Hot Spot were the original plastic flasher & to my knowledge the only flasher that can change direction of rotation & everyone on this site knows that s change of direction or speed will trigger a strike. As for colors the top colors for just starting out would be "White Lightning", Bullfrog & Weasel. Running meat use the 11" & with a fly the 8".

My favorite is a Luhr Jensen Coyote 11" Paddle, with a Big Weenie Brand Poofster Fly (a white fly) 38 inches back from the paddle.  Set 25 ft behind a downrigger down 70 feet or deeper.

The non-agitator paddles will occasionally change direction mid spin.  You can experiment with speed to see where the action seems best.  I like 2.5-3.0 mph at the ball, but I've had it work anywhere between 1.8 and 3.2 mph.  Sometimes if you're going slow, the paddle will wobble back and forth.  This can be killer near the bottom for lake trout.

28 minutes ago, Charlie P said:

Green fireworks, caddy shack uv and mountain dew works well for us in bright Sun. Two face, white glow, 42nd spin doctor produce in the morning and cloudy days.

Have you tried Lance's UV Two Face on bright days? By far my biggest producer last summer.

Ps. on Spin Doctors ; barrel swivels are of poor quality causing major line twist and should be replaced with quality ball bearing swivels eg. MATZUO America # 5 !
Ditto on the white / green dots !
That's the first time I've ever heard that as long as they've been around.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, tuffishooker said:

Ps. on Spin Doctors ; barrel swivels are of poor quality causing major line twist and should be replaced with quality ball bearing swivels eg. MATZUO America # 5 !

I always use a quality swivel to connect to the spin doctor swivel.  With the two, I've never had a problem.  I wouldn't direct tie only to the spin doctor swivel.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kingpossible said:

I always use a quality swivel to connect to the spin doctor swivel.  With the two, I've never had a problem.  I wouldn't direct tie only to the spin doctor swivel.

x2 also white green dots with a pro am glow fly and seneca special with a mirage fly on those bright high sun days

2 hours ago, tuffishooker said:

I've never had that issue.

I tie direct to spin doctor swivel. Actually I take the front swivel off all my spin docs when I get them and put them in terminal tackle box then my rigger rods for flashers and my dipsys for flashers all get one tied on the leader then I just snap the swivel direct to whatever flasher I want to run. Always have been taught the less connections and less hardware the better and I have no issues with line twist. My rigger rods that I run spin docs off are set up with a ballbearing swivel then 6-8ft floor leader and on my divers I tie the leader direct to the diver. Just my opinion