Guides Boats

cedarswamp

I would agree the Bahas, the Penn Yans, and even Tiaras are the most popular due to their layout.  I think the biggest thing that makes them the most popular is the fact they are readily available, and are primarily inboards.  Working the back of them, setting lines, maintaining the engine, and netting hundreds of fish over the transom of an inboard is just way easier, less inhibited by engine boxes, and outboard engines.  For the weekender, one can make other styles work, but for day in-day out work the big, clear dance floor inboards really are the best.  

26-33' are the most popular lengths for Lake Ontario.  Some of the above mentioned boats are known to have bad stringers and transoms .. Tiaras are nicely built and IMHO are 60+% geared towards cruising and some of the deck area is transferred to the cabin area. The upside is the ladies will like it and spending weekends on it may be a bit more comfortable. They are nice platforms and maybe a bit overpriced because of the cult type following on the Great Lakes and demand.  If you look around you will see Trojans,Carolina Classics,Albermarles, BlackFins, Rampages,Puruits ,Topaz ,Cabo.Luhrs.Viking  to name a few that are more fish than cabin, built extremely well ,laid out for bringing them in and just keep raising fish, no matter how old they might be. As noted inboards are more popular on the great lakes because of the room it leaves for the deck as well as the ease $$$ of replacing vs a outboard. Also gives the hull a lower center of gravity and are generally easier to work on by any mechanic or owner.

Edited by Bozeman Bob

Ive always wondered why we don't see more large center consoles or walkarounds on the great lakes.  A 32ft center console or walk around with twin 250hp 4 Strokes would eat the great lakes alive, plow through 4-6fters, go 40mph through wicked chop, be economical, etc.

When its time for me to upgrade and run with the big dogs thats the route I plan on taking.   Look at Vince's new boat...i think he feels the same way

Edited by jigstick

the trouble with center consoles is limited seating and weather protection and for trolling lake O those are important things.  

Walk around's on the other hand are a nice compromise on that and for my next upgrade they will definitely get some consideration.  

i like the option to trailer so i prefer a boat in the 19-20 foot range and fall firmly on the outboard side of the engine question.  there are some really nice models out there for that type crestliner has a model called the authority that i would very much like to get my hands on there are some comprable versions from alumaweld though i have not seen any around here and Hewescraft makes some very nice pilot house models most of those.  most of those also have a versions in the 22-24 foot range they could be good for a more multi species guiding service but for pure trolling the big glass inboards mentioned above are tough to beat comfort is important for customers that may not be hardcore fisherman that would prefer fishability

Big CC's are really nice boats.  Problem is, they don't really present well for the trolling game.  The seating in shelter from the sun and rain just isn't there.  If I were a jigging, or drifting guide, a big CC would be my choice.  There are guys that do just that, and the room and ability to fish 360 degrees around the helm is ideal for them.  For trolling, walk-arounds, pilot houses and enclosed helm areas(canvas or hard) are the way to go.  There are so many styles of fishing, and so many styles of boats out there to match, we should all own one of each.  I own a walk-around and like it for what I do right now.  If I were to step up to the professional ranks, I would struggle with room, seating and shelter, and that dang motor box.