Yamaha 150 4 stroke

Just bought a new boat from Frontenac Harbor on Cayuga Lake.Picking it up Friday. So I'm looking for a Yamaha service dealer closer to home. I live in Greece. I still may take it back to Frontenac but it's a 80 min drive. Any recommendations for a Yamaha service in the area? Heard many negative stories about Bryce so I'm going to avoid them. Also how much do these service cost , 20 hour and 100 hour?  Anybody out there trolling with a Yamaha 150 4 stoke? Thanks! Any input appreciated. HarTT

• Like 1

I have two of them on my boat, great running engines. Mine are 2006 year and I have about 1550 hours on them each no problems. Trolling on one engine I burn about 1/2 gal a hour while pushing 8000lbs of boat fully loaded. For service I go to Frontenac only 20 miles for my house.

Thanks for the reply. That's where I bought the boat, Alumacraft Tournament Sport 185, not near 8000 lbs. I assume your happy with Frontenac service? I live in Greece, an 80 min drive from Frontenac and the reason I'm looking elsewhere but I still may take it there.

Sutters in Canandaigua has certified Yamaha technicians. Have used them for PM service. I troll with a 2009 250 HP and also use Ring Free at every fueling. 1800 hrs and going strong

Edited by UNREEL
Additions

I'm not sure about "certified Yamaha technician" status, but Tommy Barbera is the owner of East Fork Marina on Sandy Creek in Hamlin and one of the best marine mechanics this side of the lake. He has serviced our Yamaha 200 hp 4-stroke on Nothing but Net for the last ten years and >2200 hours (much of it trolling) without a hiccup. He's also taken care of the Yamaha 115 hp 4-stoke on my Lund. As a bonus, he's likely one of the closest to you. If Yamaha requires that the service be performed by an authorized technician for the warranty, you still might want to give him a shout and check out his status directly.

Edited by Gator

My buddy trolls with a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke on his 20ft Alumacraft.  it hauls ass 40mph plus, great on gas, quiet as hell, and doesn't smell like a 2 stroke.  Its awesome.

I have one on my 18 ft Skeeter MX. Runs great, but I had a hard time getting it down to anything lower than 2.8 MPH, so I added a kicker last year. I tried trolling bags and they worked but they were a pit of a pain. Not sure I made the right move, but it sure is nice to set it and forget. I get it going about 2.1 ish, drop the trolling motor, put it on autopilot and off I go. I get about 4 hours of fishing on my trolling motor batteries, so I have started setting up the trolling motor, turn the prop off, and then when we hook a fish turn the prop on and we can concentrate on getting the fish in the boat. Will be nice when fishing myself which I haven't done yet.

Thanks for the input, I may also have to get bags or a kicker also. I plan on using my trolling motor while trolling. I'm getting the 80 lb 24 volt minnkota. Trolling bags are certainly much cheaper and maintenance free.

Thanks again for all the input. Looks like 3 choices for trolling, kicker,bags, and trolling plate. I guess the worse for low speed should be about 2.8 or so but will wait and see. My old boat was a Crestliner fish hawk 1750 with a 115 hp e-tech, trolled down to 2.2 or so. In 11 yrs put all most 1000 trolling hrs on it. Worked great, maintenance every 3 yrs. Will wait and see. Thanks again.