Mono vs braid or nanofil

chugbug

I';m having a hard time breaking away from mono specifically spyder wire ultra cast use to be called triple x mono and they changed the name , its a good all around line with low stretch and the fish don't see so no need for adding leaders . Got started using when I started jigging for lakers we wanted a low stretch line but not the no stretch like you get with braid I like a little give . I know I'm behind the times but its inexpensive and just plain works ! Looking at getting into some walleye fishing with leadcore and riggers  .but what can you tell me about a braid for main line to a fluorocarbon leader for jigging and blade baits it won't be huge walleye on Oneida so thinking about a 10 lb  Fireline or nanofil  to 10 pound fluorocarbon is it worth it  .I'm not convinced it will be any better than a roll of  ultracast mono in 10 lb test .I realize naofil isn't a braid are there any benefits to it over fireline

Edited by chugbug

I’ve tried a few braids, nanofil and suffix Nano braid. I only use fireline for spinning gear now (except for steelhead). It’s awesome. You don’t really need to go heavier than 6#. It’s actual strength is way higher than that.

For cranks and sticks I tie on a 6# fluoro leader but for raps and blades I’ll actually use 8# fireline to a small barrel swivel and then about 18-24” of 10# fluoro.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Also. Problems with the others...

Other braids got wind knots, nanofil seems to degrade over time so you have to watch the business end, and nano braid nicked easy and lost all strength.

Most guys use braid that's too light to start and the lighter you go the more wear is an issue and the more wind knots.  20 lb seaguar kanzen with seaguar premier flouro leader in 12lb handles most anything for walleye, trolling included and with the same diameter as 10lb fireline and your average 8lb flouro.  

Edited by justtracytrolling

Sufix 832 braid is good line. I gave up on Spider Wire and Fireline a long time ago. The thing with braid as with any line is it’s a tradeoff with line diameter. Thinner line cast farther and has less water resistance, thicker line holds up better. I use (20 or 30) lb typically for Esox. Always on the look to cut off the last ~ 15’ due to fraying, etc. Etc. Sufix 832 is great against fraying.

Use wht you have faith in.  Why do you want to use something new.  I still have two rods riggedwith 10 pound XT from years ago.  Caught a lot  LOT of fish on that stuff.  Yes there are better and more expensive and better this and that. but you have to have faith in your gear.  I use a lot of crystal fireline also.......jk

I used everything except Kansan.  At $45 you are not getting anything special.  Nanofill and power pro have similar diameters for their pound test.  My fingerlakes line is nanofill.  I fish perch in clear water and need to cast as far as possible.  The problem is wind knots.  Just going to happen. For blade baits  in Oneida, I’ll use power pro or fire line.  10 lb seaguar  leader. Works great for laker jigging too.

Seaguar isn't a cheap alternative...I've used em all and the seaguar is just a bit thinner and wears better... Just like their leader material.  The nanofil is great too but wear is an issue.  Powerpro is on sale often and that's what I'd use if I was trying to save money and buying retail.  Once you get the hang of it wind knots can be eliminated..even night casting walleye its possible to avoid them entirely, but not with customers!  

My favorite reel is a shimano stradic 2500 spinning reel and thats what I use for all my laker jigging , I use baitcasters for most bass fishing just never liked them for jigging , problem is I only have one spool for the stradic so changing line back and forth isn't going to work , guess I will stay with my spiderwire ultracast for now and see how it works on the walleye .

I've used 30# Power Pro for years and to me that's the cats meow!!! One of the reasons I went with the power pro is Mark Romanack, it's the same dia as or close enough to the 10# mono so you can get close to the same results buy using the precision trolling info. I've found that I can use a  number 10 spro swivel rated at 35# to connect my 25ft of Seagar florocarbon in 20# for eyes and a number 8 spro rated at 50# to connect 40# Seagar floro for kings in the fall. The 10 spro will fit through the eye of any pole and any line guide on reels, the #8 will fit all rods but not all reels I adjusted the line guides a little to allow the #8 to follow through with no problems. Some will argue it's hard on the line guides but the only line guide it really touches it the tip guide and most are metal or ceramic so there's little to be concerned about and reeling your fish to the boat verses handling 10-25ft of line by hand is ludicrous to me?? $120.00 for a 3000 yard spool that has completed my many, many reels, and one line can complete all my needs with minimal hazards. Untill they come out with something else that covers the broad spectrum of my fishing needs I'm sticking with the PP. one other thing is you can get more than sufficient amount of line on any reel, because it's 10# test diameter.

I've used Fireline since it first came out and mainly use 4 and 6lb Crystal because it's easy to see and still love it with no reason to change.  For trolling bottom bouncers I run 10lb Fireline on my line counters.  If I'm casting stickbaits at night I have a spinning rod setup with 10lb Fireline because the lighter tests end up wrapping into the trebles and split rings too often for my liking.  I find with the heavier thicker braid I can avoid those wraps and obviously line shyness is not a concern at night.  

I used power pro super slick for years which works well for me in 20 lb test. I switched to suffix 832 on a couple reels to try it and like it in 20 lb . Then I do a small spro swivel with flour leader 10-15 pounds depends on what I'm doing. I mostly jig with this for different species but like this set up. I only put about 2 -3 feet of leader on and don't reel up the swivel to the tip to either ruin the tip or to keep smashing the knot with the tip every cast. I like having the flour leader due to most of my walleye fishing is in rock river type situation.

If I'm trolling whether with a spin set up or baitcaster I just increase leader to rod length and use a three way or snap weight.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Im a firm believer in fluorocarbon for walleye, which what I primarily fish for.  By far the best line I have used for my rigger and lead core rods is / was Berkely Trilene 100% Flouro Professional.  Which seems to be hard to find recently.  Because of that I have switched to Seagur Yellow Flouro on all of my rods.  The thought of using mono on a walleye rod boils my blood.  I personally wouldn't.  At a minimum you could spool up with mono backing, but the last 150-200ft should be fluorocarbon.  I bet your hook up rate improves drastically.

I watched a SaltStrong video the other day that compared Seaguar blue label fluoro and Berkley vanish.
Vanish is about 90% cheaper than Seaguar according to the video.
I have used the Seaguar 15,20,40 and 65 lb flouro fishing in the Port Charlotte Florida area.
I really liked it but it’s not cheap.
The video shows a test done with the Seaguar and Vanish and Vanish seams to do slightly better in the abrasion test they do.
Anyone ever use Vanish?

This is all highly debatable. Ask a hundred people what they like and you’ll get a hundred different answers. I think Power Pro is a solid line it’s a strong durable braid where Nanofil is more of a finesse type of line. Nanofil is supposed to have the ultimate sensitivity but it has problems. It has virtually no abrasion resistance if you look at it wrong it will fray so a leader is a must and it has no shock resistance at all oh and did I mention it’s knots slip very easily so you have to use more advanced knots or it will fail. That’s why I like Power Pro cause even if it’s not the best at any one thing it’s not really bad at anything either (besides the line bleeding). I haven’t used either line for jig fishing I’ve used them for casting spoons and I’ve lost a ton of tackle on Nanofil from either the poor shock resistance, the fraying or knot slipping but it is sensitive and it casts far but it’s not worth the problems. I’ve also used other braids and had some issues and keep coming back to PP. As for leaders a lot of people seem to hype up fluorocarbon but I think most of it is overrated garbage. There are a few that are good but it’s not as strong as mono you can take that to the bank and I know plenty of guys that catch a ton of walleye using mono leaders. I’m not sold on the whole invisibility thing of fluorocarbon either heck one of the best leaders out there for invisibility is Maxima Ultragreen which is a mono. Leader length is also debatable one guy will tell you 7’ while the next guy says he only uses a 2’ foot leader and has success but for trolling it’s supposed to be 20’+. In the end it’s whatever works for you that catches fish with as little problems as possible. 

Most of my braid was bought in Florida. Bulk from my tackle shop in Port Charlotte. Always used Seagaur flouro as leaders. Fair number of toothy critters in the salt. We mostly fish shrimp under a popping cork or freelined. Was just trying to see what everybody’s take on something different.
Haven’t had a chance to get fishing anywhere this year as my wife is sick but doing fairly well. Have a few more screws to finish up the new autopilot and HDS 7 and we are hoping to get out for at least a shakedown on one of her better days next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know braid and flouro are the most popular right now but if you want a good mono try the spiderwire ultracast ultimate mono in clear  , there 10 lb test is .011 dia .  and no leaders to mess with and a 330 yd spool is 8.95

Spiderwire® Ultracast™ Ultimate Mono Fishing Line is the ultimate strength-to-diameter, co-polymer mono, with low stretch for ultimate sensitivity. Ideal for baitcast reels, Ultracast Ultimate Mono has a "web-thin" diameter for higher line capacity.

• Ultimate strength-to-diameter co-polymer monofilament
  • Low stretch
  • Highly sensitive
  • Ideal for baitcast reels
Edited by chugbug