Adding a 2nd battery...have a install question

pjprod

I need to add a 2nd battery due to elec riggers..autopilot etc. The question I have is should I purchase a ACR Auto Charge Relay kit by Blue Seas or just purchase a dual battery Perko switch and run it off of that without auto charge relay? Any thoughts? 

I installed mine with a Perko switch.  Both batteries charge with no problems.  Not sure what an ACR is?  I hardly ever use my shore power.  But I switch my Perko to the starting battery to get up and running.  Let it charge while I motor out to the grounds.  Switch to my deep cycle while trolling to charge that one.  Then flip it to "both" on the way in.  Never had a problem.

what does the ACR do?

The ACR will allow you to share charge from the main motor for both batteries but isolate the draw. 

This way you can have a dedicated battery for starting the main engine and never worry about drawing it down.

I have 3 batteries on my boat. 1 dedicated for the main motor and 2 house batteries batteries for the electronics, down riggers, AP etc 

Kicker charges house batteries as well when running.

Never have to fuss with the battery switch unless I want to shut everything down

16 minutes ago, jigstick said:

a Perko does the same thing

Yes It does. But you have to manually adjust the Perko to do it. The ACR works along with the Perko and makes the switching automatic.

It just takes forgetfulness out of the equation. I haven't touched my battery switch all season.