Inline Planer Boards

jigstick

I haven't had the best luck with Church or Offshore planer boards.  I do catch plenty of walleye with them, but I haven't been happy with how far they plane out from the boat.  Ive been using the Church TX22 and the Offshore OR12s.  Ive tried the modifications from the BloodRun website without any improvement.

Should I be using the Church TX44s?  Or the Offshore OR37s?  Im only pulling 5 and 7 color lead core, or some Rapala and Reefrunner deep diving cranks.

• Like 1

Might want to try using the Church walleye boards as the weights on the bottom are adjustable. I've pulled 10 color behind them but with spoons not cranks. The crankbaits generate a lot of pull on their own depending on size. I have a set of the TX44's and actually started with them but I view them as overkill for eyes and they are much clumsier to use in that situation especially if they dive on you but they do pull a lot of hardware behind them.

when Im running the lead core I'm just pulling Renosky or Bomber stick baits.  and even with that the inlines don't pull far away from the boat.  20ft at best.  Theres no way in hell I could run two inlines off one side.  I must be doing something wrong.  Because i see Youtube videos of guys running 3-4 boards per side.  WTF

I ordered some Cisco planer reels and Auroralite boards but won't have them for 2-3 weeks.  So in the meantime I would like to get these Inlines working

If the boards are set up with the line in the main release (most of us set it up so the line is either clamped down very tight and/or wrapped arounf the release so it won't actually release) and then undo the board on the way back in manually. From the main release the line should go through the pin area at the back of the board to the lure. With that as a given there aren't many things that could prevent the main line from going out with the board attached to any reasonable distance other than too slow boat speed, the line slipping in the main release with the lure going back but leaving the board as is, or the lure overcoming the pull of the board.

This seems really weird that you can"t get them to move farther away.  I have walleyes and 22's, and actually prefer the 22's, and am able to put weights on Reef Runner 800's and still get them to plane out there.  There must be something simple going on here.  Your line is secure in the clamp?  The line is behind the pin at the stern of the board:  You are putting the board on the proper side of the boat?  You have the rod tips up and over the side of the boat?  Sounds simple, I know.  

I'm a rookie to the walleye game but I ran 5 colors and deep reefs with the offshores and even the Cabela's brand. Ran 2 per side with no issues. I did end up switching the deeps to the inside as they weren't tracking as well as the shallow divers with more lead,but they definately ran real nice in some 1-2' lake Erie chop

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My inline boards all have the compression front clip.  I have them set pretty tight, so I'm fairly certain the line isn't slipping through there.  But I have never tried wrapping the line around it + clamping it down.

My rods are higher than the roof on my boat....placed in rod holders on my roof supports.  The rods point extremely vertical, and towards the stern of the boat.  Maybe if I had them point lateral....the boards would plain more?

I don't know what Im doing wrong.  

I think you may have identified part or all of the problem. The rods may be too high up vertically forcing the boards downward and pulling them towards the boat. They perhaps need to be lower and especially pointed more horizontally

" My rods are higher than the roof on my boat....placed in rod holders on my roof supports.  The rods point extremely vertical, and towards the stern of the boat.  Maybe if I had them point lateral....the boards would plain more?"

Edited by Sk8man

I am not going to offer a solution because I don't know what you are doing exactly on your boat. All I can say is that I "play" around with the exact same boards on Erie this time of year. I did manage to get them out around the 50' mark with four colors on them last Friday. I don't thing putting the pin in is the problem because the first time I set them, I forgot to put the pin in on the starboard side and did not notice a difference. Maybe you should ask on LEU or walleye central. A lot of guys in the western basin use them all the time.  As for me, as soon as the eyes move a little deeper, I'll salmon fish for them using the riggers and dipseys. Just a whole lot easier and, I think, more effective.