Drifting Live Bait for Trout

I believe there is a listing  in the DEC syllabus that mentions the species of bait allowed but it is nested someplace in the material. I have never heard the thing about nightcrawlers which is surprising as many sold in stores come from Canada. You can catch allowed baitfih in a given lake and use it there but not transport it or use it in another lake as you need a receipt from a certified virus free seller. The problem is : "How do you prove if questioned that the bait came from that lake andf not somewhere else in the absence of a receipt"? You can't use just ANY fish or part of one either. For example, a game fish of any speccies. Also even frozen or dead bait requires a virus free receipt. If commercially prepared dead bait is used you need to have the packaging present. Any baitfish bought that is not commercially prepared requires that the receipt is good for 10 days from the date of purchase. At least this is my current understanding. If someone else knows differently please pipe in.

The dec made a political mess  out of the bait business in New York state. if you get caught violating any bait law you will pay a fine. the system stinks  its out to get you. govern yourself use common sense. yes you can use any bait that comes out of the same lake you caught it from. don't take it to fish another lake. if you want to use dead bait buy it brined. you can buy brined sowbellies buy the case. I don't keep my receipt. a case will last a long time.  I don't let them know I use it. keep it out of sight.  no harm fishing with brine bait.  you buy minnows. you better have your receipt. 

11 hours ago, Ray4852 said:

The dec made a political mess  out of the bait business in New York state. if you get caught violating any bait law you will pay a fine. the system stinks  its out to get you. govern yourself use common sense. yes you can use any bait that comes out of the same lake you caught it from. don't take it to fish another lake. if you want to use dead bait buy it brined. you can buy brined sowbellies buy the case. I don't keep my receipt. a case will last a long time.  I don't let them know I use it. keep it out of sight.  no harm fishing with brine bait.  you buy minnows. you better have your receipt. 

You might sing a different tune if a disease gets into the system you like to fish and wipes out your favorite target.  One bait bucket can wipe out a brook trout pond, a few pike in a trout lake and you can often kiss that good trout fishing goodbye.   Underbrined bait that has some disease that kills pacific salmon, maybe you can kiss that fishery goodbye. Thank you for you concern for the fishery and your fine sense of sportsmanship!

You might want to consider that ENCON reads these websites, so bait checks on boats might be more common in the future.  I'd keep that mythical receipt.

lucky13

your post makes me laugh. do you fish or pretend you are a fisherman posting on a fishing board. for your information I'm a true sportsman. what I'm worried about here is people like you that have no clue what you are talking about. one thing I agree with you; taking bait to a man made pond and using it. I would never use it there. No such thing as under brine bait. where did you get that information from. pike roam all of the Great Lakes and we have them in our finger lakes too. have the pike destroyed our lakes. disease that get in our lakes is caused by man not some fisherman using brine bait. man pollutes everything on this earth. not some fisherman using brine bait. its human nature today to screw the little guy to death because most of them are to stupid to know whats going on. like I said this bait law sucks. it put most of our small tackle shops out of business. years ago we had small shops all over selling live bait and tackle and we didn't have all the problems we have today. our government allowed this dumping into our lakes thats why we have these problems. only bait I use is certified brine sowbellies thats it. you cary my receipt for me. 

Edited by Ray4852

38 minutes ago, Ray4852 said:

lucky13

your post makes me laugh. do you fish or pretend you are a fisherman posting on a fishing board. for your information I'm a true sportsman. what I'm worried about here is people like you that have no clue what you are talking about. one thing I agree with you; taking bait to a man made pond and using it. I would never use it there. No such thing as under brine bait. where did you get that information from. pike roam all of the Great Lakes and we have them in our finger lakes too. have the pike destroyed our lakes. disease that get in our lakes is caused by man not some fisherman using brine bait. man pollutes everything on this earth. not some fisherman using brine bait. its human nature today to screw the little guy to death because most of them are to stupid to know whats going on. like I said this bait law sucks. it put most of our small tackle shops out of business. years ago we had small shops all over selling live bait and tackle and we didn't have all the problems we have today. our government allowed this dumping into our lakes thats why we have these problems. only bait I use is certified brine sowbellies thats it. you cary my receipt for me. 

I got most of my information from a Regional Fisheries Manager.  He emphasized that brined bait or salted has to come from a commercial dealer to insure adequate treatment, and that it is the concern for disease that led to the regulations.  But I am sure you are right, these guys have nothing better to do than sit around at night and deviously think up regulations just to make your life miserable!

I travelled to Quebec to fish for red trout in 1976.  It was not legal to sell minnows or transport bait in that Province then, and you had to buy an additional license to catch your minnows in the lake where you used them.  So it is not new, just new here.

Introduction of pickeral to Kayuta Lake in the upper Black River nearly wiped out the Brook trout, and introduction of Pike into the Fulton Chain has put a dent in the trout and Atlantic Salmon fisheries there,IMO.

Gobies were banned as bait in an attempt to stop their spread into non-connected waterbodies.  It was known that they would spread to Cayuga once they were in Lake Ontario, but if it was legal to catch and use them for bait, they would likely be in Lamoka and Waneta and down the Susquehenna   by now, because someone would know better than DEC.  Ring any bells? 

I have an idea on where you could keep your receipt, but I don't want to get the Moderators going.

• Like 1

lucky13

I never talked to a fisheries manger. what I think of them. they are very book smart. they live by the fisheries book. and my opinon there like a college professor. when you get done talking to them you won't have any brains left to think. do you remember that pacific herring bait we had up on Lake Ontario. good tough bait. the best bait for brining. one slab would last all day. did they get political with that bait. they said that bait carried a virus that could kill king salmon. anybody believe that BS was probably from another galaxy. that bait was taken away from the fisherman. then they sold the Atlantic herring for a few years. then we had the sawbelly left to use. good bait but not as tough like the herring. I wonder where they got the sawbelly from. our finger lakes or Great Lakes. I will tell you one thing. commercial sowbellies are a lot better brining yourself than catching them yourself and brining. commercial ones come brined but they still need more brining to get them perfect. its been over 8 years since I bought a case of commercial brined sawbellies. my receipt fell apart. the ink wore off the receipt. I only have two packs left. I didn't major in biology when I was in school. all I know. when we have a disease it dies when we die.  don't you think its the same for fish also. brining only cures the bait and make it tough. my sawbellies are 5 times harder than the commercial ones I buy. last case cost me 40 dollars. I think its double now. don't worry about the moderator. I think he's pretty level headed here. my kind of guy.

Edited by Ray4852