Thru hull leak?

Jdavis

Hi everyone- I rarely post on this forum but really enjoy reading all the posts and have learned a lot! I own a Starcraft Superfisherman 180. It’s a 2007. My first time out this year I had a serious leak (thank God for bilge pumps!). I figured out it was a crack in the livewell drain tube as I put a hose to the outside of the thru hull fitting and could see water pouring into the bilge. Not great, but at least I found the problem. Here is where I am stumped. I have since plugged both thru hulls drains (2 livewells on  the Boat )and capped the raw water intakes just to make sure plumbing was the issue. On a 3 hr fish I had no water in the bilge, yet, when I pulled the drain plug I had a significant amount of water. Recently I took it out again, only to have very little water (not enough to run the bilge pump) in the bilge , yet when I pulled the drain plug on shore a lot of water came out. This boat has been bone dry in the past. My last outing in October I fished over 6 hrs and had zero water come out the drain plug. What I don’t get, is that all this water comes out when I pull the drain plug on land, but isn’t in the bilge on the water. I can only surmise it’s a leak from a rivet or the keel gasket? But why isn’t that water pouring into my bilge? Sorry for being long winded. Just super confused! 

• Like 1

Sometimes those through hull fittings leak with age to the boat. If it has those plastic round fitting on the outside they need to be tightened or sealed. Just a thought as I had this happen to me and the water came out the drain hole also.

Edited by pap

8 minutes ago, GrumpyFisherman said:

Do you cover your boat when it rains?

Yes. I have gone out after a significant rain and like to put the drain plug in at my house so I don’t forget! Maybe it’s rain water? I need to check on that. But I do keep it covered at home.

7 minutes ago, pap said:

Sometimes those through hull fittings leak with age to the boat. If it has those plastic round fitting on the outside they need to be tightened or sealed. Just a thought as I had this happen to me and the water came out the drain hole also.

Thanks! It does have those fittings 

Bilge pumps are rarely at the lowest point in the bilge because it would be a huge headache to install it there and change it out if needed.  My bilge will hold water and not necessarily trip the pump until a significant amount of water gets in there.

I have a self bailing deck with deck scuppers.  Ive gone out on dry days and not washed my deck down, gotten back to the harbor, pulled my drain plug, and had nothing come out.

Ive also gone out on sunny days and washed my deck down with 15-20 gallons of water throughout the day, having most of the water leave via the scuppers.  But when pulling the plug at the launch would have some water come out.

Are you getting your deck wet?  Are you taking waves or a lot of spray?  water will find its way down to the bilge.  Maybe its that.

Edited by jigstick

Leave it on land and start to fill the bilge with a hose. Once you get some water in the bilge it should show you where it is coming from. 

I'm not sure how the stringers and bulkheads are laid out in the boat but could it be water trapped in spots that wouldn't usually allow to drain unless the boat is tossed around? Does the boat seem slower to plane, slower top speed, plowing in the water more? I ask because I wonder if the foam is draining slowly because it absorbed some water. Could be a handful of things but I would consider filling the bottom of the boat to see if water leaks out somewhere. Your thru hull fittings could be crack or the sealant is bad. I wouldn't think it would happen 11 years later but stranger things could happen.

Might be the same issue I have. The keel gasket is bad. When no one is on the boat it takes on very little water. Put some weight in the boat and it takes on more water. Check to see if the bulge comes on when you are under power or move all the weight/people to the back. Also you might notice a drip coming from the keel when it is on the trailer. Make sure there is water in the bilge, don’t pull the plug, put it on the trailer and go back in 30 minutes to see if it is dripping. I just keep a spare bilge on the boat.

• Like 1

thanks for taking the time to reply guys. I will try to see if there is a leak from a seal. The Boat doesn’t seem to be performing any differently. Seems to be plaining fine and is hitting normal speed (35 mph roughly) on plain. I will keep you posted!

First get away from using general terms like "a lot" of water. 5 gallons, 10 gallons, what are we talking, everyone has a different opinion on "a lot".  If you have 5gal in an 18' boat its not a huge deal. Your water can be hiding in the bow till you put it on a trailer. You can run a hose in it when in your yard and see where its leaking right on the trailer but don't put so much water in it you overload the trailer so your limited a bit.  You know the normal things to check, and its probably one of those things, once you find it, its an easy fix. sounds like your leak is "higher" in the boat.

So I finally had time to look at my leak a little closer. I filled the bilge with water over the out takes of my live wells.  Turns out I have a leak right at the “v” under my drain plug. I will try to attach video. I moved the water down the bottom of the boat by lowering the jack and theconly leak was right at the V. Will JB Weld work here?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update- I ended up using JB Water Weld for my leak. I just liked the ease of use. I have been out 4 times since applying and the boat has been bone dry! Hopefully this will be a long term fix.

My old Starcraft leaked. I filled the hull with water one spring. 268 rivets were replaced. Old rivets will leak from the pounding they get. Welded aluminum boats are safer. After replacing all the rivets the transom brace cracked ang the engine was flopping under way so I gave up and scrapped that boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Well this is a good thread but no help with my fiberglass Bass Master 16 foot 135 horse that only takes on water when up on plane. Launch and look below battery shelf and it stays dry. Run it and bilge pump will move a couple gallons out.
I need someone to hang their head down in here while I push it up to 40 or 50! Maybe the hose in the bilge area on a dry garage floor is a better idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Fishnet -Do you think it might be coming from internally in the boat  from something like a live well, or storage compartment, through hull drain fitting on the outside being cracked, or lines going to or from them and when you get up on plane the water gives in to gravity and rushes to the bilge?

Edited by Sk8man