Amish Outfitters Planer Clips

Anybody using these planer clips?  The design seems simple and effective.  Has anybody used them pulling copper successfully?  My concern is the rubber bands popping from the slot prematurely. 

no need for rubber bands. some guys permanently thread them onto the tow line thru the small metal ferring. i just clip them into the slot each time. it helps if you have the same backer for all of your long lines so you dont have to keep readjusting them.

can you run copper with them?  On my buddies boat if we are pulling 400 copper with large paddles and flies we sometimes have to use 3 rubber bands to avoid false releases.  Can these clips tighten down enough to retain the rubber bands?

i have run 600 copper off them with no issues. just snap the braid thru the beaks. adjust them until there is a good snap. similar to the feeling of resistance of flossing your teeth. no rubber bands

Joe has the right idea, they weren't originally designed for use with rubber bands to start with . If your going to use rubber bands with them you might as well just use shower curtain rings and be done with it.

So I ordered some of the Amish Clippers, and a few of the Scotty Mini Powers as well.  the Clippers are definitely cheaper.  It would cost me twice as much to buy 100 of the Scottys.  Well see what works I guess.

My Clipper releases arrived today. I’m trying to adjust them. I’m using a feeler gauge 0.005 and trying three different rubber bands that I also purchased from Amish Outfitters. 

Im guessing I won’t know which rubber bands I need until I try them out?  It will depend on what I’m pulling correct?  Leadcore and stickbaits vs deep divers vs flasher/fly?

If you insist on using rubber bands, thread the clippers on your board line through the hole, then set your rubber band in the slot, not the jaws.

The numbers that stick in my head are #32 or #16. Use the bigger one. Keep them out of the sun!

All this money everyone spends on the equipment for fishing salmon and people want to use rubber bands. Spend the money and get the regular size Scotty's and/or offshore releases. Clip it to the copper and you'll never have a false release again.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

2 minutes ago, jigstick said:

Buying 120 offshore or Scotty Minis is not in the budget. 

then just use shower curtain clips with rubber bands. you can get like 6 in a pack for a buck. there is no reason to use bands with the amish clips, and the amish clips arent the cheapest things either.  a little more than 2 bucks a piece and they do crack and you will drop them in lake

We’ve gone through 120 clips so often while walleye fishing it’s not even funny. And it’s annoying pulling in the boards to gather all your clips while all your other rods are still out. 

• 1 month later...