In line boards- necessary Modification.

I was very frustrated with the clips on my inline boards. They will not hold braid. So, I replaced them with Sam's pro releases. $10 each, worth every penny. See pictures. No more problems.

(Update- that was wishful thinking!) The Sam's won't release the braid, it just cuts into the rubber. And the OR 16s are a pain in a$$ to use, to get the braif behind the pin is not enough, the braid still slips, and the line tightens so the tattle flag doesn't work. Try spinning or looping the braid....NOT easy). I have used the inlines with success and no problems with mono line, but not braid. 

IMG_20180614_054123710.jpgIMG_20180614_054150229.jpg

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by garrymny

I used a big split ring so they stand up. I wasn't sure how the release was going to react to being in the laying down position??

I've havent had too much of an issue using the new updated clips on the church boards with 30lb dacron backer, but that might be due to Dacron being so much thicker than comparable test braid.

My buddy uses those Sam Pro Releases and swears by them.  I haven't played with them much but my first impression was that they're a little difficult to get to release.

I use the Sam's releases with lead core, and braid.  I have not had any issues when using them.

Pap, I use the split ring too (I have questioned whether I should affix it to the arm so it lays down, but it works so why even try?).

1 hour ago, Silver Fox said:

I'm just not sure if the release needs to be put on in a certain direction. When I'm at the boat tomorrow I'll take a pic and someone can help me out please.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thats why I went with a split ring so they stand up right and swing back naturally shorter amount of line needed for the tattle tail to operate which is no big deal. They set up the same way as a blacks release does, then the board swings back on one of those pin clips, just have to make sure the line is behind the pin. Then you fight the fish not the board and the fish 150ft to the boat remove the board now you fight the fish, with the release you get to fight the fish the whole distance. If you don’t have the pin clips I wouldn’t recommend this as you’ll be chasing your boards around the lake. I haven’t lost a board since switched to the pin pad.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, the releases they come with won't hold braid, and I tried the Sam's pro releases again today, and they won't release the braid. I'm wrapping it 3 or 4 times, maybe that's why. Or it's just that braid is too thin and digs into the rubber. I think I will tie in a section of 30 or 40 pound mono just so I can use the in lines.

The way to use braid so it wont slip. Get the braid behind the pin and let the board hang, spins the board so you get a few twists in the line  then put the end going to the rod in the front clip and you are ready to deploy the board. Unfortunately 50lb braid will make fast work of the plastic pin you need to change the plastic pin to a metal pin.

On 6/14/2018 at 11:55 AM, Silver Fox said:

I must be an idiot (no comments), I have those Sam's releases and can't get them to release properly to save my life. Everyone loves them, but me, which means I'm the problem. LoL

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

NOPE, me too. The braid just digs into the rubber.

Use two rubber bands half hitched around the braid, then hook the rubber bands to the planer, you can go to 3 bands or down to 1 depending on weight of the line your pulling.   Half hitch the rubber band 3X though (each one) so they don't slide.  This although a pain to do works and will reduce the swearing on your boat substantially.  I cant get anything else to work either on inlines with heavy lines, that's why we go to the otters many times. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I use inline boards with zero issues. 30 lb power pro. TX 44s definitely replace plastic pin with metal one. Spin 4 or 5 times. Use stock front clip. On OR12 I use the red release on the back. Put line behind pin spin 4 or 5 times. I use the snapper Release on the front. Leave a little slack in the line so the tattle flag will work. Insert braid in jaws of release and wrap around once and snap jaws closed. Have never had this method slip.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

My experience is with the church’s! replace the plastic pin with the metal pin and deploy like in my previous post no need to replace the front clip you won’t regret it very simple and no line slipping!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
Unfortunately I list my church board Sunday. In Erie. It probably went over the falls by now.