Auroralite Boards

Ordered some Cisco planer reels.  Ready to order boards.  Both of my buddies swear by the Auroralite Large boards.  But I'm having a hard time swallowing the cost of them vs the Amish Outfitters composite boards.  

Any thoughts?

It seems as though this is like a lot of considerations buying fishing equipment now days and the issue of "expensive=quality" combined with "Do I really need this?":lol: 

I guess if you live in Beverly Hills this may not seem like much of an issue, but for many of the rest of us paying $400 for a set of planer boards may be something to really think over.:smile:. take for example the lights on the boards....do you fish a lot for walleyes at night using the boards? If only occasionally then some small cheap LED lights can easily be added to other less expensive boards and still do the job. The main consideration with big boards is: how well do they track and will they effectively pull the set-ups I intend to use. A good part of this is how your mast (or intended place of attachment)  and planer reels are set up which is separate from the specific board selection. The entire purpose of the boards is to maintain your lines out away from the boat and water turbulance and many brand name boards will do that that are far less expensive although some may  do it a bit better than others. If it were me I'd be comparing carefully and determining whether you feel comfortable laying out that kind of money and whether it is actually necessary. But on the other hand....thats me.:lol:

Heres my dilemma.  My two buddies live right by Olcott and fish WAY more than I do.  When I ask them for gear recommendations they tell me what works for them.  And trust me...they slay fish.  If I deviate from their recommendations they bust my balls and say "we told you want to get, why didn't you listen".  

Ive personally seen them run 300-400-500 copper of each side on those Aurora boards.  Ive seen them run 3-5-7-10 color lead core off each side.

They are much better fishermen than me....believe me.  I would have a tangled mess.  But on occasion they come down from Olcott to fish walleye with me on Erie.  And when they do, they want to use the gear they are familiar with.

I don't mind "buying once, crying once"...but still.....

Sounds as though the decision is already made jigstick:lol:  You can't always worry about ball busting buddies either...I'd be in a mental institution if that were that case because ALL my buddies do it regardless of whether the issue is valid:lol: and....I do the same thing to them but I still make my own decisions and let the chips fall where they may. If you have the funds available and are comfortable with the decision...go for it OR break from the pack and take your chances. Even aside from fishing this is kinda what life is all about.:smile:

I haven't used the Aurora's but the composite Amish boards pull like a mule!  I don't think you'd have much noticeable difference in pulling performance between the two.  I reinforced my planer mast for fear they'd pull so hard to snap or bend the mast.  Definitely get a set of board shockers with whatever brand you get to help with the strain in waves.

• 4 weeks later...

My Cisco planer reels and pulley shipped today, and I should have them by Wednesday.  I need to order my boards now, but I can't decide between the regular or large size Auroralites.  Any ideas on which size is appropriate?

I will primarily be pulled lead core, deep divers, jet divers for walleye, but occasionally will need to pull 300-400 copper setups when I salmon fish.

If you’re wondering if Amish composite boards will pull long coppers well, we run two long coppers on them and the tow line barely bends where the release sits.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United