Raymarine Evolution Autopilot Help

jigstick

Who here has a Raymarine Evolution autopilot?  I finished switching from a SportPilot over to a hydraulic autopilot pump and have a question about the "dockside wizard / commissioning" required.

Because Im not using a rudder feedback I must specify the "hard over" time.  I followed the Raymarine instructions.  it says to turn the outdrive hard over to port.  Engage the autopilot and change the heading my 90*, and "estimate the time it would take to get to hard over starboard".  

Well when I change the heading by 90*, the outdrive goes from hard port to midline in 10 seconds.  Do I need to use this value?  Or double it to 20 seconds, because thats now long it would take for it to go all the way to starboard?

I hope I'm describing this correctly

Jig stick, I don’t have an answer for ya right now, just want to let you know I feel your pain. I had the same system installed last year, and find the instructions a little less than user friendly. I did get it working acceptably last year, but the unit has apparently reset itself after disconnecting the battery for the winter. If I get it figured out, I’ll let you know.

Rusty.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

13 hours ago, jigstick said:

Who here has a Raymarine Evolution autopilot?  I finished switching from a SportPilot over to a hydraulic autopilot pump and have a question about the "dockside wizard / commissioning" required.

Because Im not using a rudder feedback I must specify the "hard over" time.  I followed the Raymarine instructions.  it says to turn the outdrive hard over to port.  Engage the autopilot and change the heading my 90*, and "estimate the time it would take to get to hard over starboard".  

Well when I change the heading by 90*, the outdrive goes from hard port to midline in 10 seconds.  Do I need to use this value?  Or double it to 20 seconds, because thats now long it would take for it to go all the way to starboard?

I hope I'm describing this correctly

Jig Stick unfortunately I can't answer your question as I used the rudder reference on my install so the commissioning procedure was different. If I had to guess 20 seconds is the answer as it asks for full port to full starboard swing. If once you start using it and it doesn't seem right you can always do a reset and try 10 seconds as the input.

If you go on the Raymarine website to the support area and ask this question on the forum there you will probably get all the answers you need. I just did a full Raymarine package on my boat and found "Chuck" the moderator on that site to very helpful and knowledgeable. I messaged with him a few times and he was always spot on with his info

FWIW after talking with several people about the rudder reference I came to the conclusion that for trolling it was a beneficial piece of hardware. Just more realtime info input for the ACU.

I can't say how it would be trolling without but I can say with it that it works great. I certainly couldn't drive the boat better manually, especially when utilizing the pattern programs, 180 turns etc. 

Its a fairly easy install too.

Good luck, I am sure once you get it worked out you will be real happy with it.

Well I had the SportPilot drive installed for the past few years without using a rudder reference, and it held course well.  Good enough for motoring out to the grounds and back.  Good enough to land fish.  I'm not sure how to install one on an I/O or I would do so.

Maybe you can answer this other question.  During the Dockside Wizard it also makes you specify the "rudder limit", which defaults to 30 degrees.  Ive never messed with it.  What SHOULD it be on an I/O?

Not sure what it should been an I/O. If I remember right is what about 28 degrees on my outboard. Could be mistaken though. Link from forum below may help.

Lots of good info on the Raymarine forum my be worth a try asking these questions there.

http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=1831&highlight=rudder+limit+RAYFAQ%23

Do you troll with a kicker or the I/O?

If a kicker and its tied to the the I/O with steering bar the rudder reference could be tied to the kicker instead of the I/O

If no kicker, you would somehow have to tie it to the outdrive. Might have to make a mount for the RR and somehow fasten the end of the bar to the outdrive.

I have outboards but still had to do some fab work. I used starboard to make a mount for the RR and a mount at the front of the engine. 

Edited by rookie fisherman

As far as determining hard over time, per the Raymarine forum I centered the rudder, then hooked the motor/drive leads up directly to 12 volts to drive the rudder to one side. Reverse the leads and drive the rudder all the way to the other side while keeping track of how many seconds it takes. I'd post the link, but don't know how to on this site.....sorry. Mine is an EV-100, but I think the same method might work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app